On Sat, 2003-11-15 at 12:32, Björn Lundin wrote:
> James Sparenberg wrote:
>
> >> well, it doesn't worry me, it's just annoying :)
> >>
> >> Thanks for trying. I'll keep an eye on your harddrive - top - thread,
> >> it would be nice to have a utility like that.
> >> /Björn
> >
> >   The questions I would have (Yeah I know more questions no answers
> > *grin* ) are
> >
> > 1.  Does this happen when you log into other WM's like Ice or Gnome
> > etc.  This will narrow the problem down to something kde related or
> > not.  dividing the world in half.
>
> Well, I like Kde so much, I don't have any other wm installed.
> I'll try installing blackbox or fluxbox...
> <later>
> Now, when I've installed Fluxbox, I notice NO disk activity.
> (Writing this in Fluxbox, I like the silence, but it's a bit sparse)
> >
> > 2.  Could you do an ls of /etc/rc.d/rc5.d and post that.  It will tell
> > us what gets started just for runlevel 5 for sure.
>
> Won't do a whole lot of difference now, but here goes.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] bnl]$ ls /etc/rc5.d/
> S03iptables@    S12syslog@   S25netfs@      S44acpid@   S65dhcrelay@
> S90webmin@
> S04acpi@        S13slpd@     S25shorewall@  S55sshd@    S75keytable@
> S92lisa@
> S05harddrake@   S14nfslock@  S26apmd@       S56xinetd@  S80spamassassin@
> S98postgresql@
> S05lm_sensors@  S18sound@    S30dm@         S60cups@    S85httpd@
> S99devfsd@
> S10network@     S20random@   S40atd@        S60nfs@     S85numlock@
> S99linuxconf@
> S11portmap@     S20xfs@      S40saslauthd@  S65dhcpd@   S90crond@
> S99local@
>
> In addition, a comparison with chkconfig --list reveals that the only
> service thats on in runlevel 5, and not in runlevel 3 is dm
> (diplaymanager?) which makes sense.
>

> > I'm running the same setup as you 9.1 + kde3.1.4 from Texstar + reiserfs
> > and don't have this condition.  So something you have that I don't is
> > doing it.
>
> Well, it's a nice setup, don't you think :)
>

> Well, that concludes that Kde really is the culprit, doesn't it.
> But what in Kde?
> >
> /Björn

What I see that you use that I don't iptables shorewall netfs nfs and
lisa, linuxconf httpd and atd.  I've got nessusd smartd and win4lin,
that you don't have. I'm suspicious that Lisa is what is "polling" your
HDD but not sure.  In my case as well dm is the only diff between rl 3
and 5.  My initial reaction would be to turn off (if possible) the ones
you have that I don't one at a time then if it doesn't stop turn it back
on and go to the next one.

As for the 9.1 + texstar combo.  Yes love it.  That's why my laptop
won't be in a hurry to move to 9.2.

James