I've been working with the ODBC code with this change for a few months now:

TYPEDEF: short* SQLSMALLINT*

but am not knowledgeable enough why it would be wrong.  It was early in my
Factor learning process, and I can't swear I tested every data type.

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 12:05 PM, Joe Groff <arc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2010, at 6:18 AM, Ben Schlingelhof wrote:
>
> Hi there,
>
> I've tried to use the odbc-vocab in the newest factor source. I get
> this interesting error:
>
> 17: TYPEDEF: void* SQLSMALLINT*
>                               ^
> *-in-c-type-name
>

> You're correct. Pointers no longer need to be (or can be) typedef-ed
> separately from their underlying types. If you want to define an opaque C
> type (that is, one which is valid as a pointer type but not as a value
> type), you can use C-TYPE: .
>
> Generic word underlying>> does not define a method for the string class.
> Dispatching on object: "DSN=TEST_DSN"
>

> I bet this is because of a recent change in string handling in the FFI.
> While parameters with a char* pointer type used to be treated specially and
> would automatically convert Factor strings to C strings and back, this is no
> longer the case. A separate type, c-string, is now used to automatically
> convert strings in the FFI. This is discussed in the "C strings" article of
> the FFI docs:
>
> http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-c-strings.html
>
> The fix for odbc will probably be to update some parameters that take char*
> parameters (or typedefs thereof) to now take c-string parameters.
>
> -Joe

Jim
"I'm for extending the working Medicare program for our seniors all the way
back to contraception, so Americans can concentrate on living their lives
without fear of changing a job, going bankrupt from deductibles or fighting
HMO bureaucracy."