I got gnu emacs working on my xp laptop by following these instructions,
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
and the ones on the factor website:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html.  I was able to get
it to call factor & compile, and to update my source file's USING: as I
added words.

Then, I played around with ergo emacs, and screwed everything up, and ran
out of time.  I'm a newbie, just thought that piece of info would be
confirmation that it's possible.

Jim