This seems similar to having a bookmark 'url' interface into the gui, that
contains enough information to restore state, or has a key to something that
has that extra info about what data are current.  And that seems like enough
of a good thing to want in and of itself.

It also seems similar to any undo functionality (restart and run commands to
n-1) , also a good enough thing to want by itself.

Could one solution logging certain calls bring all three benefits?  Snapshot
+ command line interface + undo?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Andrey Onymov <anonym...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 10:34:21, Slava Pestov wrote:
>
> > The problem with snapshotting the state of the UI with all open
> > windows and gadgets is that it gets really tricky for gadgets with
> > associated native resources, like fonts, vertex buffers, textures, and
> > so on. Squeak doesn't run into this difficulty because it renders to a
> > framebuffer and implements everything itself...
> >
> > Slava
> >

> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:46, Joe Groff wrote:
> > Resuming an entire program is tricky. While the Factor VM knows how to
> > freeze the Factor heaps and thaw and revive them, on its own, it doesn't
> > know how to recreate the UI resources, network connections, and other
> > externalities a real program depends on. Programs can register startup
> > hooks to perform these sorts of (re)initialization tasks, but it's not
> > automatic. A program in Factor could potentially support a full resume,
> > if all its libraries properly register startup hooks to recreate their
> > external dependencies, and the program saved a continuation object to be
> > resumed from the saved image.
> >
> > -Joe
>
> So, basically, you'd need ability to set up a hook that fires when
> building a snapshot and saves another hook to restore the state on
> restart (and support for this in all the libs, of course).
>
> Quite a hassle to implement.
>
> And anyways, start-up times for image with all dependencies compiled in is
> quite low, so wouldn't it be easier to implement some common framework for
> state persist/restore on applications level?

Jim
"I'm for extending the working Medicare program for our seniors all the way
back to contraception, so Americans can concentrate on living their lives
without fear of changing a job, going bankrupt from deductibles or fighting
HMO bureaucracy."