Not bad ideas, we'd welcome any contributions you'd like to make in this
area.  Besides some future, currently unavailable, tutorials, I would
suggest you look at:

* Reading "Factor Cookbook" (
http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-cookbook.html)
* Creating "Your First Program" (
http://docs.factorcode.org/content/article-first-program.html)

I have quite a few blog posts on my blog that might interest you whether it
be:

* simple RPG game (http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2011/02/simple-rpg.html)
* simple website (http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2010/08/hello-web.html)
* calculator w/ gui (
http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2010/08/calculator-with-gui.html)
* using EBNF (http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2010/07/rolling-dice.html)
* Norvig's spelling (
http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2010/03/how-to-write-spelling-corrector.html)

As well as some optimization tips through:

* powers of 2 (http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2011/04/powers-of-2.html)
* wc -l (http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2011/11/wc-l.html)
* "factor-like" (
http://re-factor.blogspot.com/2010/05/evenly-partition-integer.html)

In any case, I would recommend picking a project that you are familiar with
or interested in and trying to implement it in Factor.  If you need help,
feel free to reach out to the mailing list or #concatenative IRC channel.

I would also note that the scary list of improvements shouldn't make you as
a beginner more wary, since they don't make the language more complicated.
 In fact, the changes are largely making the language more stable and the
libraries more robust.

Best,
John.