Hi Luis,

2013/12/10 Luis P. Mendes <luisl...@gmail.com>:
>>> Here are some benchmarks (posted by the author of Factor?) comparing
>>> Factor against V8, LuaJIT, SBCL, and CPython:
>>>
>>> http://factor-language.blogspot.com/2010/05/comparing-factors-performance-against.html
>>> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ contains more benchmarks for more
>>> programming languages(including C++).
>
> I know about http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/, but Factor is not one
> of the languages being compared.

I believe Factor does very well in various benchmarks. Factor code is
not run inside of a VM, like Python or Java (which has a JIT, yes) and
is instead compiled to native machine code so it has the potential to be
very fast.

But it really isn't that important. Factor's Alien library makes it very
easy to write cross-platform wrappers for shared libraries. It's
analoguous to ctypes in Python but better. So in a large project it
would be trivial to write the most performance intensive functions in C
and the rest of the application in Factor.

Factor already comes with a wrapper for BLAS if you need fast numerical
computation, for example.

> After some more digging into the language, Factor does really feel
> like a very good language.  But after some more searching, in
> http://planet.factorcode.org/  and the blogs pointed there, I come to
> realize that it seems that developers don't earn their living using
> Factor, except maybe for Slava Pestov.  There are some C++, Java, and
> some discussions about incursions in other languages like Self.
> So, my question is this:  is Factor really meant to be used in real
> world business applications? Do developers and main contributors
> really believe in this possibility?

I'm just a Factor newbie, but sure why not? Right now, not many people
use Factor because it is not marketed much and it still has some minor
blemishes. Many people like functional programming which Factor excels
at so I think it would be possible that more people will become
interested in it.

--
mvh/best regards Björn Lindqvist