On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Alexander Ilin <ajs...@yandex.ru> wrote:

> 24.04.2016, 23:17, "Jon Harper" <jon.harpe...@gmail.com>:
>> Also, the opengl matrix stacks were part of the "fixed function
>> pipeline". It was totally removed in openGL 4 and replaced by the
>> programmable shaders. You can read about it on Joe's blog:
>> http://duriansoftware.com/joe/An-intro-to-modern-OpenGL.-Table-of-Contents.html
I'm no openGL expert, so for anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm
wrong. Also, those functions were removed from the openGL spec in
version 3.1, not 4, my bad.

>   But what does it mean practically?
Practically, it means you need system libraries documented on this
page: https://concatenative.org/wiki/view/Factor/Requirements
All these are pretty portable, so don't be afraid to depend on them.

>When I'm programming in Factor's GUI, am I using OpenGL 4 or an earlier
>version?
openGL is a standard, which is different from an implementation. I
don't think factor uses any functions from openGL 3 or 4 for the
default UI tools. The extra/gpu vocab does use openGL3.1 functions so
it's available if you need it.

>   Is it dependent on the host system libraries and/or capabilities support?
Factor builds it's UI on several components. For example, on linux it
uses gtk to open windows, opengl to draw stuff, pango to render text.
All these are system libraries. So for openGL, it will use the
libGL.so of your system. It expects that this libGL.so will have the
functions it needs (for example glPushMatrix).

> Is there a way to find out?
On linux, you can check that by running the nm program:
$ nm -D  "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so.352.21"  | grep glPushMatrix
00000000000cd0a0 T glPushMatrix

>   Or does it mean I can just forget that do-matrix exists and not use it,
> ever?
You can totally forget about do-matrix ! It's here to help when
building hierarchical structures (so for example factor uses it for
the gadget hierarchies, where children are drawn inside the parent).
But you don't have to.

Cheers,
Jon