The PDF stream writer works pretty well for what I wanted it for, allowing
you to output using our formatted stream protocol (e.g. ``stream-format``)
with font sizes and colors etc. specified.  The main entry point for that
is ``with-pdf-writer``, then when the quotation (which should print / write
/ format stuff output) finishes the object on the stack is the pdf, which
would need to be written to file something like:

    [ ... ] with-pdf-writer pdf>string
    /path/to/output.pdf utf8 set-file-contents

It doesn't currently support things like setting page numbers and header
and footers, and table support could be a bit better, but the building
blocks are there if you wanted to.

If that doesn't provide what you need, other ideas are to wrap the many PDF
libraries available in many other languages.

Best,
John.