IMHO, it is better to have newline always be \n. On Windows, the
situation is messy because when you are dealing with Unix files you
want \n but when dealing with DOS files you want \r\n. I think what we
are doing now which is accepting both \n and \r\n when reading and
only emitting \n when writing is fine. Most Windows programs worth
their salt works with either newline sequence.

mvh/best regards Björn Lindqvist