Interesting parallels between what's going in India according to Nanda
and what's going on here with christian evangelicals in politics.

While I'm sure there are hindu fundies who are cynically using the
guise of science to advance their religious-mythological dogma, I
don't see why there can't be a legitimate attempt to expand science's
reach into those more subjective or even superstitious areas in an
attempt to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Curious to examine the evolution of the tmo in this regard -- the
pursuit of good research into the effects of TM on specific
physiological areas, to mediocre research on effects of TM on certain
psychological areas, to bad research on effects of TM-sidhis on world
peace, to no research on effects of pundits on world peace and the
imminent onset of the Golden Age.  I think in many TB minds, when Dr.
Schneider comes out with his scientifically sound findings on TM
lowering blood pressure in afro-americans, that actually in some way
scientifically validates their belief that pundits are coming to save
the world since both are coming from "vedic science".

If someone wants to have faith in pundits, that's fine with me, but
they should be honest with themselves that it's their faith.

> Dynamite.
>
> L B S

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Vaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Why Hindutva Loves "Science"
> >
> > Meera  Nanda
> >
> > We can understand why the leading Hindutva ideas-men go around
calling
> > themselves "intellectual Kshatriyas": they are at home in a
> > varna-defined world. But the Kshatriyas were only supposed to defend
> > dharma as a way of life. Why, then, are our Kshatriyas so bent upon
> > defending dharma as science? Why is it not enough for them to have
> > pulled off a coup against higher education in India by forcing such
> > absurdities as "Vedic astrology" into the college curricula? Why must
> > they also insist upon declaring astrology, and the entire Vedic
> > tradition, "scientific"?
> >
> >   Why this sudden love for "science" in the saffron camp?
> >
> >             We will solve this mystery as we go along. We will also
> > unearth a curious, although entirely unintended alliance between our
> > Vedic warriors and our postmodern Brahmins in universities and social
> > movements, both in India and abroad. We will find that postmodernist
> > condemnations of science and modernity, coupled with uncritical
> > celebration of "local knowledges" have created a climate in which
> > irrationalities of all kinds can thrive.
> >
> >   But first: some friendly advice to help you cope with what lies
> > ahead…..
> >
> > Get over whatever mental blocks you may have against this oxymoron
> > called "Vedic science," which pairs the archaic, mystical and
> > unfalsifiable worldview of the Vedas with science. Put away whatever
> > residual hopes you may still cherish that science could help
demystify
> > and liberalize our culture…..
> >
> > Instead, get used to the doublespeak of "Vedic science," for we are
> > going to hear a lot more of it. Be prepared for a flood of books,
> > TV-shows and even new computer programs extolling the virtues of
Hindu
> > sciences. After all, big money is behind it: tax-payer's rupees and
> > large grants from private foundations (Hinduja Foundation, Infinity
> > Foundation) are pouring into "research centers" dedicated to showing
> > the scientificity of Hindu scriptures. If you thought that Vedic
> > astrology was merely a personal idiosyncrasy of Murli Manohar
Joshi and
> > a handful of UGC bureaucrats, think again!
> >
> > Everything Vedic – from yagnas to the gods of all things, to
> > reincarnation, karma and parapsychology will make a claim for the
> > status of "science." And everything scientific – from the
knowledge of
> > quantum physics, to the laws of molecular biology and ecology –
will be
> > declared to be already there in the Vedas. Modern science will be
> > treated as a Western corruption of the non-dualist Vedic sciences
which
> > can synthesize science with god, facts with values, etc. Mother India
> > will be called upon to heal the wounds inflicted on the entire
world by
> > the "violence" of soul-less modern science.
> >
> >   But – and here the plot begins to thicken – this will not stop
the BJP
> > government from acquiring the most violent and the most destructive
> > products of modern science and technology. We are heading toward a
> > schizophrenic national culture in which the technological products of
> > modern science will be eagerly embraced, but the secular culture
which
> > science was supposed to help create will be strenuously denied.
Instead
> > of a genuine secular culture, which denies the existence of gods in
> > nature and the authority of god-men in culture, the intellectual
> > Kshatriyas are intent on declaring the dharmic worldview, with its
> > nature-gods and miracle-working gurus, to be the essence of a
"higher"
> > science and "authentic" secularism. Symptoms of such schizophrenia
are
> > already evident:
> >
> > 1.      The nuclear bomb tests in 1988 were justified and packaged in
> > dharmic terms. Hindu ideologues claimed that the bomb was foretold by
> > Lord Krishna in the Bhagwat Gita when he declared himself to be "the
> > radiance of a thousand suns, the splendor of the Mighty One. ..I am
> > become Death." They celebrated the bomb by invoking gods and
goddesses
> > symbolizing shakti and vigyan. Even Ganesha idols turned up with
atomic
> > halos around their heads and with guns in their hands!
> >
> >   2.       In April 2001, the Indian Space Research Organization made
> > history by successfully putting a satellite into the geo-stationary
> > orbit, 36,000 km. above the earth. This same "space power" that takes
> > justified pride in its ability to touch the stars, will soon start
> > educating its youth in how to read our fortunes and misfortunes in
the
> > stars and how to propitiate these stars through appropriate
karmakanda.
> > For all we know, the satellites launched by the much-celebrated GSLV
> > might some day carry internet signals that will make horoscopes
easier
> > to match!
> >
> >   This is how the secularist dream ends: with nuclear bombs in the
> > silos, and the Vedas in the schools; with satellites in space, and
> > horoscopes in our lives down here on earth.
> >
> >   This secularist nightmare is Hindutva's dream-come-true. From
Bankim
> [...]
> >
> >   But the Hindu ideologues face the same problem as the Nazis
faced: how
> > to reconcile technological modernization with cultural conservatism?
> > How to prevent the science that goes into making the technology from
> > challenging the worldview sanctioned by religion and traditions? The
> > problem is truly serious for Hinduism, because modern science, if
taken
> > seriously, can challenge the most fundamental axioms of dharma which
> > are based upon such "laws of nature" as karma, rebirth and
hierarchy of
> > beings determined by karmic cause-and-effect. If it is given the
> > cultural authority as a superior way of knowing, modern science
has the
> > potential to demystify the hallowed truths of Hinduism itself, to say
> > nothing of the countless miracles and superstitions that are a
part of
> > everyday life of average Indians. It is thus imperative for Hindutva
> > that science remains limited to technological gizmos, and does not
> > spill over into the larger culture.
> >
> >   Like the Nazi myth of "Aryan science," Hindutva is in the
process of
> > creating a myth of "Vedic science" which can co-opt and absorb modern
> > science into Hindu traditions by simply declaring these traditions to
> > be scientific. Hindutva ideologues argue that just as modern "Western
> > science" is scientific from a Judeo-Christian perspective, Hindu
> > traditions of astrology, yagnas, ayurveda, vastu shastra, Hindu
> > ecology, Hindu meteorology etc. are scientific from a Hindu
> > perspective. Indeed "Vedic science" is declared to be ahead of modern
> > science, as it treats all entities in an integrated whole – never
mind
> > that many of its "entities" (atman, the gunas, "hot" and "cold"
> > substances) and "subtle forces" (of mantras, meditation, planets,
> > karma) can't even be defined with any precision, let alone
measured and
> > tested empirically with appropriate controls. But "mere" definitions,
> > measurements and controlled tests are declared to be Western. Hindu
> > sciences use "their own" methodology of meditation and direct
> > realization.
> >
> >   So now we know why the saffron Kshatriyas are so keen on
defending the
> > Vedic lore as science. This is their way of taming what threatens
> > Hinduism the most, i.e. modern science. Hinduism has always protected
> > itself form the new and the alien by turning it into an inferior
aspect
> > of itself, quietly metabolizing it until it is absorbed into the
> > existing belief structure. Turning modern science into just a part of
> > Hindu wisdom is merely a continuation of this classic Hindu tradition
> > of self-defense and self-perpetuation. Hindutva gets a good name for
> > "openness" and "tolerance," while the end-result is as
conservative as
> > the Taliban could've hoped for. In the end, the old decides what
parts
> > of the new will be fitted where, and what parts will be
unceremoniously
> > thrown out. In the end, the old has always won in India.
> >
> > But there remains a philosophical problem. How to convince the
skeptics
> > that the Vedas are as scientific – and indeed, even more "objective"
> > and even more "advanced" – than modern science? Our Kshatriyas need
> > some arguments to back up their bold assertions.
> >
> >   These arguments have been obligingly supplied by the secular,
academic
> > critics of modern science and the Enlightenment. The leading trend in
> > sociology of science in the last couple of decades has been to deny
> > that modern science is a distinctive body of knowledge, which has
> > succeeded in attaining higher standards of objectivity and
reliability
> > than other, pre-modern, magical-religious ways of understanding
nature.
> > Abusing the ideas of Thomas Kuhn and Paul Feyerabend, two well-known
> > scholars of science, radical critics have claimed that non-Western,
> > traditional ways of knowing are as scientific in their social context
> > as modern science is in the Western context.
> >
> >   These ideas have found great favor among prominent left-oriented
> > critics of the West in India associated with a host of populist
> > "alternative science" and "alternative development" movements, with
> > Gandhian, environmentalist, and even some Marxist elements. All these
> > groups believe that the problems of modernization in India stem from
> > the very nature of modern scientific ways of thinking about nature
and
> > human beings. They see the content of science – and not just its
> > application – to be Western or Orientalist, and believe that real
> > decolonization will only come with development of indigenous sciences.
> >
> >   Interestingly, Hindutva intellectuals make exactly the same
arguments
> > in support of Vedic sciences that abound in the
alternative/postmodern
> > science literature. Indeed, they often even cite the same sources
> > (especially the much-maligned late Thomas Kuhn), but only replace
"the
> > people" or "the oppressed" with "Hindu" ways of knowing.
> >
> >   Take for example the argument for scientificity of astrology. It is
> > the neo-Gandhian Ashis Nandy and his followers who have long argued
> > that astrology can't be condemned as a superstition. On the
strength of
> > the argument that all "ethno-sciences" are equal, and that modern
> > science has no greater claim to objectivity, Nandy has argued that
> > modern science is the myth of the imperialist West, and astrology is
> > the myth of the weak, who are the victims of the West. If that is
> > granted, Nandy argues, the weak should have the right to challenge
the
> > "myth" of science.
> >
> >   One finds a similar argument in the Hindutva literature. They
> > criticize scientists for being closed-minded and Westernized for not
> > allowing Hindu science a chance to challenge the Western idea of
> > science, and for writing off astrology without studying it! (One
> > wonders how many more refutations will it take to satisfy the Hindu
> > ideologues? Astrology must the most rigorously falsified body of
> > "knowledge" in the entire history of ideas).
> >
> >   The more sophisticated Hindutva advocates, including
US-based/returned
> > scientists like Subhash  Kak, David Frawley and N.S. Rajaram argue
that
> > the conceptual categories and methods of science must be organically
> > connected to the rest of the culture of a society. On this account,
> > different cultures will have different idea of what is reasonable and
> > true: thus, the supernatural is declared to be real and true for
Hindu
> > science. This idea that standards and methods of rationality differ
> > with different cultures is borrowed from the postmodernist
critiques of
> > science.
> >
> > Secular intellectuals and progressive social movements, which should
> > have been at the forefront of defending scientific temper, have
for too
> > long decried it as a ploy of Westernized elites. At a time when
modern
> > science needed to establish its cultural authority so that it
could set
> > new norms for public discourse and provide a more rational worldview,
> > it remained besieged from all sides. Ever since the scientific temper
> > debate in early 1980s, which marked the beginning of the end of the
> > Nehruvian consensus over secularism and modernity, there have been
very
> > few voices in the public sphere that have actively challenged the
many
> > signs of unreason and arbitrary authority in our society. Vedic
> > sciences are only the chickens coming home to roost.
> >
> >   A recovery of secularism will need a recovery of respect for
science
> > and scientific temper. The Vedic astrology episode ought to be a
> > wake-up call to all who are concerned about the future of a secular
> > India.
> >
> >   Meera Nanda is a fellow of the American Council of Learned
Societies
> > at Columbia University, New York. She is the author of Prophets
Facing