Zen teacher Ellen Birx writes in her book Healing Zen: Awakening to a Life
of Wholeness and Compassion While Caring for Yourself and Others  (Viking
Compass 2002) "Yamada Roshi spoke of four types of people: an ordinary
person without enlightenment, an ordinary person with enlightenment, a saint
without enlightenment, and a saint with enlightenment. Of course, the fourth
type is what we would all like to be and what the world needs most. However,
what this scheme is pointing out is that personal insight and saintly action
in the world do not necessarily go hand in hand. Insight alone is not
enough.  Insight must be coupled with an ongoing effort to actualize in your
actions what you have realized through mediation practice. Insight is
actualized through service." (Page 232- chapter on "SERVICE - Doing What
Needs to Be Done).

In her chapter "COMMUNITY- Supporting One Another" she writes, "Although we
are a Zen community, we do not seek to establish ourselves as a separate
community. We are fully integrated into the many communities in which we
live our lives. Whatever we realize through Zen practice is actualized in
the way we live our lives in our families, our workplaces, and in local and
global communities.  Roshi Kennedy often challenges his Zen students by
saying, "Who cares about your enlightenment, if it doesn't lead to
compassionate action?" Any authentic enlightenment experience leads us back
into our communities. It does not isolate us. The energy of our insight is
poured back into building up and healing our families, our workplaces, and
our local and global communities." (P.230)
In Zen we say, "Along with the ideal comes the actual, like a box and its
lid." It's not always a perfect fit.

on 4/7/05 11:35 PM, at_man_and_brahman at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--

Rick Archer
SearchSummit

http://searchsummit.com