> did that was to underscore that
> Sanskrit formalizes the general
> linguistic principle that consonants
> must be "voiced," with a following
> vowel. By default, the vowel is "a,"
> though the other vowels can be used
> if specified. In this "northern thing,"
> the consonants voiced with "a" are
> left without the written "a" just because
> it's already there by default in the
> pronunciation.
>
> For instance, in order to pronounce
> "yog," you have to voice "a" very quickly
> to get out the final consonant. Pronouncing
> yog-a, makes the "a" much more emphasized
> than it needs to be.
>
> Cardemeister, who apparently has expert
> credentials in Sanskrt, can probably add
> clarity here.

Dunno about "credentials" and "clarity".
As to Sanskrit, I'm just a dilettante.

I think at first Maharishi wrote "Jaya Shrii
Guru Deva". Later it was changed to "Jai Guru
Dev". IMO, the latter is the Hindi version
of the former.

In the devanaagarii script the consonant
characters contain "by default" a *short* 'a'.
Syllables containing any other vowels have
a special diacritic to indicate that. If a word
doesn't have the short 'a' at its end, there's
a special diacritic calle "viraama" that "eliminates"
it from the consonant character.

http://www.saunalahti.fi/~ehei/naasad.jpg

(In addition there are special charaters
for initial vowels, for instance the first
character in a chapter.)

http://www.hermetics.org/images/gif/aVedicSanskrit.gif
(initial vowels characters - diacritics attachet to
consonant characters)

Hindi is also mostly written in devanaagarii,
I believe. It's weird that in transliterated
Hindi at least the short a-letters at the end
of words seem to be mostly dropped out but when
one listens to Hindi, it seems like they are
pronounced anyhow. That's my impression anyways.