BURGERDAMMERUNG: TWILIGHT OF THE TRANSCENDENT,
or "Do you want fries with that enlightenment?"

Those who have been waiting with 'bated breath to hear the official
definition of an Ideal Vedic Society from Maharishi need wait no
more; the verdict is in.  The Ideal Vedic Society is a Burger King
franchise operation in drag.

As we speak, several dozen devout TM teachers and TM pracitioners
are in residence at MUM learning the details of this spiritual fast-
food operation, and details of its organizational structure are
beginning to filter back to this and other forums.  The old TM
structure is gone, kaput.  Long live the new structure.  The old TM
teachers have been obsoleted.  Long live the kings and queens of the
new order.  There are even loyalty oaths to sign before you can
become privy to the details of this new Ideal Society, much less
become a part of it.

And this new Ideal Structure has all the earmarks of "New Coke,"
that is, if the Coca-Cola Corporation had, at the time they brought
out *their* monumental marketing failure, declared that:

* All existing Coca-Cola distributorships are null and void.
* All existing distributors must be "re-certified," at their own
considerable cost.
* The existing distributors are the ones to be blamed for the low
sales figures.
* No existing distributor has the right to sell "New Coke"
or "Classic Coke."
* NO ONE has the right to sell Coke, period, unless it's sold from
one of the approved outlets.

The new structure is basically a fast-food franchise operation, but
one seemingly conceived in a nuthouse.  Within four or five days of
the completion of the "New TM" course, prospective franchisees must
find adequate premises in shopping malls, office buildings or motels
and "set up shop."  They must find 9 employees who are willing to
work for $15 an hour or less, and who must be willing to pay $2500
for the "uniform" required for their job -- instruction in the basic
TM technique.  (Do the math.  This ain't gonna work.  A massage
therapist would have to work 167 hours just to BREAK EVEN after
paying for the "uniform."  Not to *mention* the requirement that
they have to raise 3 million bucks each within a very short time.)

It doesn't stop there.  The whole franchise operation is run
by "Rajas" who are required to dress up in long, flowing robes and
(appropriately enough) wear gold Burger King crowns.  These royal
overseers are *required* to spend seven hours a day doing "program,"
so it's not as if they're gonna get their hands dirty a lot.  And
the absolute kicker is that male Rajas can instruct or check only
males, and female Rajas (or is that Rajinis) can instruct only
females.  As a marketing plan, it simply defies the imagination --
imagine going into a Burger King and being told that the guy behind
the counter can take your order because you're male, but your wife
or girlfriend is going to have to wait for a female employee to wait
on them.

It's official -- the TM organization has lost its mind.

So where does that leave YOU, as a still-loyal TM teacher or rank-
and-file TMer?  Well, in my opinion, that leaves you in a pretty
enviable place -- spiritual crisis.

As TM teachers, you have been rendered obsolete.  You have been told
that you can no longer teach TM, the thing that you made tremendous
sacrifices to be able to do.  Furthermore, as TM teachers you are
being specifically BLAMED for the obvious fact that TM has not saved
the world as it was supposed to do.  The person blaming you is the
same person who has thought up this amazing boondoggle of a
franchise operation, and the blame is obviously coming from the same
place the marketing plan did -- senile dementia.

It's going to inspire some moments of spiritual crisis in the most
devoted of followers, and I for one think that's a good thing.

A lot of seekers don't *like* moments of spiritual crisis.  They
actively hide from them behind the safety of blind faith.
Personally, I think that blind faith is a kind of spiritual "holding
pattern," in which seekers dwell for months or years or even decades
to keep themselves from ever having to deal with the R word --
reality.

Well, reality has hit the fan big-time in the TM movement, folks,
and pretty much everyone except the few dozen faithful at MUM is
going to have to finally deal with it.

The *ways* that people will deal with it are all too familiar:

* Some are going to persevere in blind faith and assume that
Maharishi "sees" better than they do.
* Some of these are going to go into Inquisition Mode and declare
everyone who doesn't immediately log on to the "New TM" idea Off The
Program.
* Some will declare anyone who even expresses doubts about the "New
TM" heretics.
* Some will begin to entertain doubts not only about the senile old
man who thought this hare-brained scheme up, but about everything
they have been taught for many decades, and will stalk off in a snit
and declare everything they've learned over the years invalid, and
themselves victims for having had it forced down their throats.
* And some will look at this situation not without passion, but also
not without reason, and will decide that although TM-As-Fast-Food-
Operation is so silly that even Saturday Night Live would have
rejected it as being unbelievable, TM itself is valuable and so were
a few things that they were taught along the way.  And they will
survive, and be better for the experience.

It is to this last group that I speak.  I've been there, done that,
got the T-shirt.  I bailed from the TM organization back in the late
70s, after years running one of the Regional Offices and a short
stint as a State Coordinator.  It was the latter experience that
precipitated a crisis for me; I was being asked by the TM movement
to do unethical and morally reprehensible things in the name of
enlightenment too often to able to continue doing so.

And so I experienced my own moments of spiritual crisis, and went
through some of the phases I listed above, settling at last on the
final one.  I still think that TM is a pretty cool meditation
technique.  I think now that the TM-Siddhis are the same cartload of
Brahma bullshit I thought they were when I first learned them.  I
think that Maharishi has had his good moments, and he has had his
bad ones, and that while some of the things he taught were valid,
others had their origin in the same nuthouse that this latest
Enlightenment Burger Franchise idea came from.

But the bottom line is that I'm still grateful for the whole
stinking mess, all 14 years of it.  I learned from the good times,
and I learned from the bad times, and I grew spiritually as a result
of both.  So did you.  In the coming moments of spiritual crisis
that this "latest and greatest yet" fiasco is going to precipate in
you, try to remember that, and try to keep some sense of balance
about it all.

There is a great world to discover out there beyond the bastions
of "TM-approved" communities and activities.  You can travel it
alone and still be spiritual, or you can travel it in the company of
other seekers from other traditions and still be spiritual.

Crisis is good; it precipitates change.  This Fast Food Chain Of The
Gods idea is going to force you to change, whether you are an
integral part of it or not.  I'm just trying to let you know that
you don't have to be all bummed out AS you change.  Let the T-shirt
you wear as you go through the change and come out the other side of
it say, "Been there, done that, still doing."

Barry Wright, 2 mai 2005, Paris