--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<SNIP>

> Here is a little piece from MMY Gita commentary, ch. 3 verse43:
>
> 'Having known him': this means having known the indweller of the
> body in his true nature as Being, separate from the whole field of
> activity of the body, senses, mind and intellect.
>
> It's easy to read this and ask the question, "if my true nature is
> separate from the whole field of activity of the body, senses, mind
> and intellect, then who or what is it that is doing the thinking?".
> When we identify as or with our thoughts and someone says that "we"
> are not doing the thinking, it just doesn't make any sense. But it
> says clearly here in the Gita that your true nature is SEPARATE
from
> the mind and the intellect.
>
> So it seems that something else is thinking. Why is that something
> else thinking? What is the driver of thought? What is a thought?
> Perhaps a thought is the Light of Consciousness, that light through
> which creation can exist, bound up with nature, giving life to
> nature through the driving force of desire.

******************

It's not something else that is thinking, it's just that the mind is
the limiter of the transcendent reality, because creation can only be
enabled if there are apparent limitations put on the unlimited
consciousness. From http://tinyurl.com/6xndt , pages 454-56:

"Mind is but a bundle of notions which limit the truth."

"The transcendental reality is eternal; the world is not unreal (only
the limiting adejunct, the mind, is false)."

"In it [the supreme being] the universe exists as carvings in
uncarved stone. He who thus sees the universe, without the
intervention of the mind and therefore without the notion of a
universe, he alone sees the truth. Such a vision is known as nirvana."

"Brahman alone thou art and Brahman alone exists. When that Brahman
is comprehended by unwisdom, it is experienced as this universe. This
universe is, as it were, the body of Brahman. When that infinite
consciousness considers itself as other than it really is, that is
said to be self-destruction or self-experience. That self-destruction
is the mind. Its very nature is the destruction (veiling) of self-
knowledge. Even if such self-destruction is momentary, it is known as
the mind that lasts for a world-cycle."

Bob Brigante
http://geocities.com/bbrigante/updates.html