--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, anonymousff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ramana replied,
> > now speaking, "If one watches whence the notion 'I' arises, the
mind
> > gets absorbed there; that is tapas. When a mantra is repeated, if
> > one watches whence that mantra sound arises, the mind gets
absorbed
> > there; that is tapas."
>
> ======
> Rick,
>
> From this do you conclude that the practice Dr. Pete recommended and
> TM (or something TM-like) were equally endorsed by Ramana Maharishi
as
> producing the same results?

Well the problem is that Ramani Maharishi didn't seem to endorse any
practice, as a practice implies a goal and it seems his steadfast
position was to reiterate that there is no place to go to get the
truth because the truth is what you are at this moment, and that all
that is needed is to realize it. He said that if your sadhana started
from the assumption that you are not there yet then it itself is an
obstacle.

Personally I believe that both "practices" produce the same result but
I don't know how Ramani Maharishi would have reacted to the idea of TM.

Here is a quote from  Ramani Maharishi:

"When you pray for God's grace you are like some one standing neck-
deep in
water and yet crying for the water."

This is great but what do you do when someone IS standing neck deep in
water and yet crying for the water?  Do you just keep telling them to
wake up and realize that the water is there? Or do you devise a
technique that will innocently lead them to that realization? Of
course many will be just as lost on the path as they would be without
a path but sometimes  the most appropriate move is to start walking.

For me the words of someone like Ramani Maharishi are like a flashing
beacon constantly guiding my mind back to "I" ,but the practice
brought to me by MMY is I think more usefull than spending my life
staring at that "I" concept and waiting for it to bloom.

Rick Carlstrom