on 5/18/05 3:26 AM, TurquoiseB at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> How has this newsgroup become a "scapegoat" on a.m.t.?
>
> I agree.  I have said nothing but positive things about it
> there.  I found this place to be a remarkable breath of
> fresh air after a decade lurking on and/or posting to a.m.t.
> Before FFL, that had been my only contact with the world of
> TM, and since coming here I've realized that it was a
> rather stilted view of things.  This place is nicer, and
> I think a tribute to the folks who "set the tone" for the
> forum.  You have a *wide* range of opinions here, to say
> the least, and occasional flammage as people get their
> buttons pushed.  But on the whole it seems to be a forum
> on which ideas can be exchanged and discussed as ideas.
>
> Few here react to ideas that challenge their belief system
> as if they had been personally attacked.  IMO, that's a
> rare find in any spiritual tradition.

I've tried to make it clear in the site description that this forum is not
about being locked into a particular belief system:

Fairfield Life focuses on topics of interest to seekers of truth and
liberation everywhere. Fairfield, Iowa is home to Maharishi University of
Management, founded by Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in 1971. There are about 2000
Transcendental Meditation practitioners here, as well as many others
pursuing various spiritual paths.

"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the wish to find out, which
is the exact opposite." ~ Bertrand Russell

We often discuss the trials and tribulations of the TM Movement, which may
not interest some, but that's why God created the delete key. Discussions
also draw from diverse teachers such as Ammachi, Eckhart Tolle, Sri Sri Ravi
Shankar, Saniel Bonder, Byron Katie, Dalai Lama, Jesus Christ, Buddha,
Ramana Maharshi, Nisargadatta, Shankara, Patanjali, etc.

"The healthy mind challenges its own assumptions." ~ The I Ching

Pretty much any topic is fair game. We have discussed spirituality,
politics, economics, morality and higher states of consciousness, drug laws,
evolution vs. creationism, euthanasia, enlightenment, advaita,
reincarnation, karma, jyotish (Vedic astrology), yagya, ayurveda, dzogchen,
tai chi, tantra, channeling, vegetarianism, kundalini, Sthapatya-Veda,
celibacy, sexuality, homosexuality, abortion, racism, UFOs, Buddhism,
Hinduism, Veda, Christianity, Islam, Sufism, Judaism, etc.

"Whatever you think, it's more than that" ~ Incredible String Band

You can lurk without joining, but you have to join to post. Membership also
allows access to the Files, Photos, Links, and Database areas.

"Believe nothing merely because you have been told it. Do not believe what
your teacher tells you merely out of respect for the teacher. But
whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you find to be kind,
conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all beings -- that
doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide." ~ Dharma-pada,
Buddha Shakyamuni