Listening to Pat Guadagno turned me on to a number of relatively unknown singer-songwriters, most recently Pierce Pettis. Pettis was originally a staff songwriter for PolyGram Publishing in Nashville. It turns out he's really a "musician's musician" and a great songwriter. He reminds me of Jimmy Webb. He wrote great song called "Chase the Buffalo", which Pat Guadagno covered in the finest version I've heard so far.

As with all shared music, if you like it, buy it. If you like it, share it with your friends.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/fnly5r1bnr.mp3

CHASE THE BUFFALO
Pierce Pettis, ©1991 Piercepettisongs (ASCAP)

Indians of long ago
Followed after buffalo
They found a use for every part
Everything except his heart

I have wandered like those herds
Lost in music, lost in words
But the hunger leads me on
Seductive like a siren's song

And I can put my ear right to the ground
Just to hear those motors humming
The pounding sound of hoofbeats
Like a thousand guitars strumming
And there is music in all this
It is all material
Before the beauty melts like snow
Chase the buffalo

People in these halls and bars
They wish on me like I'm a star
But I can never fill that hole
I am not their buffalo

And the gravity of the situation makes me start to fall
My guitar like a fire alarm is ringing off the wall
And there is music in all this
It is all material
Before the beauty melts like snow
Chase the buffalo