From: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Bronte Baxter
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 10:45 PM
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [FairfieldLife] To Rick Archer/ On Reciting God's Name

Rick Archer contributed:

"Repetition aloud of His name is better than praise. Better still is its
faint murmur. But the best is repetition within the mind -- and that is
meditation.... Better than such broken thought is its steady and continuous
flow like the flow of oil or of a perennial stream."
- Ramana Maharshi

Bronte writes:

Thank you, Rick Archer and Ramana Maharishi, for providing a beautiful
example of Indian spiritual brainwashing. Whose name are you guys repeating
day in and day out, surrendering to it so fully that it becomes your very
stream of consciousness? Not the name of the Infinite, boys, because THAT
has no name!

Of course it doesn’t, but many things in the relative can be vehicles to the
infinite, and mantras serve that purpose particularly well.

Rick, you've told us in this forum that you do mantras given you by Amma,
and I know from my research t hat her mantras entails names and homage of
various gods. There are, for example, "the Saraswati mantras." So it is not
the Infinite with which you are uniting your mind, but with individuals
called devas, individuals whom the Indian scriptures clearly show are
self-serving, desire-driven, imperfect beings. I am presuming Ramana M.
promotes the use of similar mantras.

"Repetition aloud of His name is better than praise." says RM -- whose name,
Rick? God is not a He. God transcends nomenclature. If you are uniting your
consciousness to a He, She or a name, you are selling yourself out to
possession by an entity, not to oneness with the Primordial Formless Mind.
What you attain through such measures is not Brahman but Shakti. Shakti
bequeathed by the worshipped god, who is pleased and appeased by your
devotions. In offering her your mind, your stream of consciousness, your
will, your personhood, you offer yourself up to be devoured over time,
encouraged on with chocolates and endorphines, until all that is left of you
will be a bliss-filled shell, a numbed-out zombified personhood, incapable
of feeling or doing anything that makes existence truly worth living.

A person who follows such practices is not on the path of Brahman but of
possession. Possession is the reason behind gurus promoting worship of the
gods and mantra meditation. Possessed by the gods themselves, having
surrendered their will, desires and independent thinking to these beings,
Shakti-filled yogis move to the next rung of the ladder, drawing in the next
generation of innocent victims.

None of this jibes in the slightest with my own experience nor my
observation of people whom I consider to be enlightened. As I recall,
HYPERLINK
"http://www.amazon.com/Serpent-Power-Arthur-Avalon/dp/0486230589"http://www.
amazon.com/Serpent-Power-Arthur-Avalon/dp/0486230589 is a good book for
understanding the mechanics of mantras. But I think Vaj and others here more
qualified than I may already have shot holes in your “possession” theory.

Those who didn't reach "enlightenment" through mantra meditation but other
Eastern means, such as the Eastern version of kundulini meditation,
nonetheless are brainwashed by their gurus to believe that the gods are
benign and that all is perfect in the universe. So they never challenge the
system or lift a finger to promote Brahman-inspired cosmic individuality.
Therefore the gods are pleased with these guys, although they don't possess
them. Such "yogis" have willingly surrendered their minds, leaving their
outer shell behind in the world. Hence they are no threat to the system that
promotes the gods feasting on the minds and energy of physically incarnate
beings.

It is because my friends do mantra meditation and blindly walk the way of
the primrose path that I am so concerned for them, and the reason I heartily
challenge the Eastern religion regimen. I don't want to lose these beautiful
people to their trusting path of spiritual suicide. To me, the philosophy
they've swallowed is not unlike the radical Moslem teaching that tells young
men to commit physical suicide because when they do they will be rewarded
with a heaven beyond their wildest dreams.

I think this may be true if people buy into the cult-like mentality that
develops in many groups – believing things because their teacher says them
rather than because their experience corroborates them. Hence the quote I
put on the home page of FFL: "Believe nothing merely because you have been
told it. Do not believe what your teacher tells you merely out of respect
for the teacher. But whatsoever, after due examination and analysis, you
find to be kind, conducive to the good, the benefit, the welfare of all
beings -- that doctrine believe and cling to, and take it as your guide." ~
Dharma-pada, Buddha Shakyamuni

To experience the supreme and eternal bliss of "Brahman," trusting
Westerners follow the instructions of gurus, unquestioningly taking their
word for where there lives are headed. Just as their Moslem counterparts
unquestioningly accept their teaching about the dozens of virgins that await
them in heaven after their acts as suicide assasins. They believe this bilge
because their religion tells them it's so. My friends believe the Indian
promises because THEIR religion tells them it's so. But both stories are
lies designed to exploit, IMHO. Heaven is neither 20 virgins nor detached
impersonal bliss. What it is exactly we must together work to figure out.
Through spiritual practices that do not pay toll to self-serving entities,
that focus on the Infinite exclusively.

We can do this, because we are made of the Infinite, and it is the nature of
That to wake up in this world and know itself. But we have to ditch the
gods, the mantras and the gurus. We have to put on our big-boy pants and
climb the mountain for ourselves, trusting in our experience, our wits, and
our common sense. And giving ear and support to one another.

That helps, but if that’s all we do, it may be the blind leading the blind.
I have no problem accepting that there are spiritually advanced people just
as there are athletically advanced people, musically advanced people, etc.
Want to become a golf pro? Study with the best golf pros you can find.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
6:59 PM