Many times we speak here on FFL from our conceptual assumptions, much of
which we carry around based upon reading books about spiritual theory
and practice. The obvious fact is that we are not scholars. No reason we
should have to apologize for that fact but on the other hand our
assumptions can betray our ignorance about a topic. This become readily
apparent when we just spout off our ideas without considering what we
really should know so we might come to a reasoned conclusion.

As an example, most Western Buddhists don't know much about Buddhist
history - "'cause it ain't relevant". The irony is they actually
tend to know more about Christian religious history because they hate
that history and want to refute it's ideological assumptions. Apparently
this same irony holds true here on FFL for those who have morphed
Buddhist beliefs into their inherited TM-Hindu mode of spiritual
interpretation.

The problem with all this is that Buddhism is historically different
from the way it has been portrayed by its Eastern and Western followers.
Is history is also different than the way it is being described so far
on FFL.

The point here is that the historical record shows that in spite
Buddhism's somewhat non-theistic ideology, it was spread and
proselytized throughout Asia mainly by kingly or imperial decree. That
means emperors and kings told people what their allegiance would be and
whom they could worship.

Get it? These proselytizers of Buddhism are the same ones who caused
many religious conversions through sheer decree and thus "spread the
dharma" under threat of disobedience. This is also the story of the
conversion of Tibet (the Northern Lands) and the demonizing of the Bon
religion by Buddhist kings and teachers.

So do you get it? Think "King" and you'll get it. Think
"His Majesty King George III, of Great Britain" whom my ancestor
fought against in the American Revolution.

Think disobedience and "From my dead hand" you tyrant!

This is the actual history of Buddhism and Buddhists don't like to
talk much about it. But it is not just ancient history – here is
some that is quite recent.

"If ordered to march: tramp, tramp or shoot: bang, bang. This is the
manifestation of the highest wisdom of enlightenment. The unity of Zen
and war ... extends to the farthest reaches of the holy war now under
way."

  Zen Master Harada Daiun Sogaku, 1939

"Warriors who sacrifice their lives for the emperor will not die. They
will live forever. Truly they should be called gods and Buddhas for whom
there is no life or death. Where there is absolute loyalty there is no
life or death."

Lt. Colonel Sugimoto Goro

"Since the Meiji period, our (Soto Zen) sect has cooperated in
waging war." Soto Zen Statement of Repentance - 1992

All quotes from the book:

The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II

Iris Chang, Basic Books, 1997

Hinduism? No inherent pacifism as portrayed by some Gandhi worshipers.

Sunga persecutions (2nd-1st c.BCE)

The Sunga dynasty (185-73 BCE) was established in 185 BCE, about 50
years after Ashoka's death. After murdering King Brhadrata (last of the
Mauryan rulers), military commander-in-chief Pusyamitra Sunga took the
throne. An orthodox Brahmin, Sunga is known for his hostility and
persecution towards the Buddhist faith. He is recorded as having
"destroyed monasteries and killed Monks" (Divyavadana, pp. 429 - 434):
84,000 Buddhist stupas which had been built by Ashoka were destroyed (R.
Thaper), and 100 gold coins were offered for the head of each Buddhist
monk (Indian Historical Quarterly Vol. XXII, p. 81 ff cited in
Hars.407). A large number of Buddhist monasteries (viharas) were
converted to Hindu temples, in such places as Nalanda, Bodhgaya,
Sarnath, or Mathura.

So do your "Get it"?

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Samadhi Is Much Closer Than You
Think -- Really! -- It's A No-Brainer. Who'd've Thunk It?"