This is a nice story but it is not a monastic story.

  I'm thinking it first appeared in the '65-68's and was recounted by Paul
Reps. However, I may be overshadowed by brain fuzz on the orginal dates.

  In any case this is a story about two monks - which is not the same as a
monastic story. Monastic stories are not designed to engage the mind. This is
one way you can tell which stories are created by and/or transmitted by
monastics. Monastic stories are not sentimental in any way but strike directly
at the heart (nous/intellectus). They are not descriptively rich but rather
sparse although they can also be funny. The narrative point of monastic stories
tends to reverberate for years in a pracitioner's psyche because the story
presents a discernment about the relationship between contemplation and action.
It is therefore not reducible to a state of noetic recognition but can only be
resolved by absorption into a station of being, ie. knowing by being.

Marek Reavis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
          Edg, a very nice retelling a great parable. I'd be interested to read
other re-writes you
might do.

Marek

**