I was interested in the ployglot=increased IQ idea about 12 years ago in
graduate school.
As I recall, the research at that time finally found that learning another
language did not
increase IQ, with one possible exception:  English speaking youngsters who
became
fgenuinely luent (it took a few years) in Chinese did show a 10-15 point IQ
increase. The
sample size was small, but other research also suggested that learning a second
language
that was based on tones having meaning (chinese, fo example) is what increases
the IQ.
Speaking Englihs and then learning French would not, but speaking French and
then
learning Korean would.  The idea was that strengthening and developing the part
of the
brain invovled with music and tones and connecting that with the
language/meaning areas
resulted in the increase.  I am sure more research has been done.

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I hope you guys don't mind my interjecting a couple of thoughts here.  Sapir
> Whorf
doesn't address the emotional reaction we often have on hearing the sound of
another
language. We find French charming, Dutch funny, and German harsh, for example.

>   Instead, the claim is that different languages constrain our thinking in
> various ways.
For example, in English Jesus said something like, "I am the truth and the
light and the
way...etc." But if a language doesn't have definite articles, as Chinese
doesn't, for example,
then that statement would read something like "I am truth and light and
way...."  This is a
profoundly different statement from the one with the definite articles.  If
someone makes
that statement including the definite articles, then some one else could come
along and
say, "No, I am the truth, the way..."  and an argument might well ensue about
who is the
real deal.  Without the articles, there would be no conflict if someone else
said, "I am truth
and light and way..."

>   Or consider the word "knowledge."  What happens to that word, that idea,
> when we add
an article, as the TMO does when it speaks of "the knowledge?"  It makes
knowledge into
something that can be given intellectual property protection.  That is an
unthinkable
concept in Chinese---though, of course, it is something they could learn.

>   Articles isolate a thing with definite boundaries from the flux of
> existence.  Chinese
has to make a special effort to create a word like "thing." It tends to use a
locution such as
"east-west" for "thing."

>   The use of articles is just a very small example.  The claim is that these
> small examples
accrue to form a sort of "cloud" in which the speaker of a language is embedded
and
which makes him look at the world very differently than would a speaker
embedded in a
different "cloud."  A different world, moreover, is also a different self
(since we are what we
behold), and there is more than one eloquent literary statement by immigrants
who speak
of their "American self" versus their "Spanish self," for instance.

>   MMY has said that learning another language is not good for children, but
> he never
said why he feels that way.  I suspect the fact that a different language is
tantamount to a
different self is at the heart of his thinking.  We know that language
acquisition in babies
is part and parcel with the formation of a separate sense of self.  We also
know that if a
young child is removed from the environment of his mother tongue and plunged
into a
different environment, the result is almost always some personality disorder.
Loss of
mother tongue is a relatively new concern in psychology, but there is general
agreement
that this loss can be profoundly damaging. But the evidence points to the
damage
resulting from the loss of mother tongue, not from the acquisition of a new
language.
There is evidence that polyglots tend to have higher IQ's than monolingual
individuals,
which should not be surprising since IQ is 40% language related.  On the other
hand, there
is also some evidence
>  that polyglots tend to be out of touch with their emotional bodies, which,
> in turn, has
the effect of lowering that same IQ--somewhat like a windchill factor tends to
lower the
feel of temperature.

>   But there is a big HOWEVER in all this. The Sapir Whorff Hypothesis does a
> very good
job of predicting tendencies in systems, but it cannot predict individuals.
The reason it
cannot, in my opinion, should make immediate intuitive sense to everyone here.
Sapir
Whorff addresses the small self only.  It has nothing to say about the big
Self; indeed, it
doesn't acknowledge that there is such a thing.

>   This is where Chomsky and the deep structure comes in, but with a caveat.
> Chomsky's
description of the deep structure sounds to all TM'ers  I know who've read it
like a perfect
description of Brahman or Para Vac. The problem is that Chomsky himself would
most
vehemently disagree with that.  The reason I know this is that I've
corresponded with him
about that question, and I've come to no definitive conclusion about what is
really going
on with him in this regard.  a