the healing power of laughing. There have even
been scientific studies about the healing power
of laughing."

While this may be true, I wasn't talking about the
healing power of laughing. I was talking about the
healing power of being laughed at.

Whatever else you may say about the Rama cult, we
laughed a lot. At Rama's jokes, at the movies we'd
go see together, in the desert, at home...laughter
was a big thing in the Rama trip. And one of the
things we got used to laughing at -- and to having
it *be* laughed at -- was our self.

Selves (small s) were "fair game" for laughter in
the Rama trip. If you had an ego on you, it was
going to be laughed at and made the butt of jokes,
often in front of hundreds of other people. That
was one of Rama's techniques for wearing away the
hold that egos had on his students -- make fun of
them and laugh at them.

Not at the students, mind you. Only at their egos.

And the egos cringed when laughed at. They felt a
twinge of resentment or anger at being laughed at.
But, possibly because the attention levels were so
high while this laughter was going on, something
would "snap" and you'd realize that all these people
laughing at you were *right*, and that the machin-
ations of your ego in this case *were* laughable,
and the damnedest thing would happen. You'd find
yourself laughing along with the people laughing
at you.

And I have to tell you, that's one of the neatest
spiritual experiences I think you can have.

Because the being laughing at his own ego is no
longer that ego. Something has happened to shift
one's identification with that ego, to knock it
out of place enough so that one can see it for
what it really is, and laugh at it. It's a real
Castanedan shift-your-assemblage-poing experience.

When someone makes fun of you, if their intent is
clean, what they're doing is making *fun*. They're
creating a kind of koan-like doorway into a world
that is more *fun* than the one you're in now. They
are saying to you, "Dude...you're so *serious*, and
over such mediocre shit. Lighten UP, and join the
party."

And if you can get this, you really *can* join the
party. There are few things in life more liberating
than getting to that point where you can laugh at
your self. The very process of doing so seems to
loosen the hold that that self has on the inner you,
the one that would be laughing most of the time if
that oh-so-serious self weren't in the way.

Laughing at your self knocks it out of the way, and
what is left is the eternal laughter of Self. In my
experience, I think I learned more from and benefited
more from those moments in which I was able to laugh
at my own assholiness than I ever did from all that
talk about holiness.