--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The day I approached my teacher, Johannes, for the first time was
on my birthday in 1946.  I'd circled whichever field he occupied with
his sheep for  a month before  I got the courage together to  walk up
to him to say hello.  So, taking a deep breath, I walked up to the
man and, by way of "hello" said with six-year old bravado, "I can
already read."
> "Can you read the stars?" was his reply.
> I said, amazed, "I didn't know you could read stars."
> And his response has stayed with me: "You can read anything; people
who read books forget this."

> Well, as it happens, I spent more time in grad school reading books
than most academics.  What I have learned is that you can indeed read
books without forgetting that all things can be read.  Language is a
means to transcendence, and folks who scan book, highlighting what
might be on the test, do not really read.  For them, books are dead
things.  a

*lol* As a past dealer in used and antiquarian books, I was wont to
consign book-highlighters to the seventh circle of hell, right down
there with aluminum-siding salesmen (thank you, Woody Allen) :-)