Marek,

The sanctity of symbols.

Eating a peyote button to one person is a sacred soma portal into
cosmic love.  To another, it's a mind destroying immoral use of
chemicals.  Both parties worship the sanctity of their POVs.  But the
elitist must impose his POV on all even if it takes killing children.

I know I've deeply concerned your great heart, Makek, what with my
obsessions here, so thanks for this posting -- such a real life
example of righteousness overwhelms the paltry insignificance of my
fire and brimstone rantings to a congregation of devastated FFL souls.
 I'm already being called a racist against whites when whites are
merely my handy symbol for elitists.  I don't hate white people, I is
one.  I am an elitist to the core too.  Got a ton of stuff from
Walmart -- prima facie -- convict me of elitism.

But I do try to at least lip service the scouring of our souls of this
elitism -- especially in the forms that I've employed in my life as I
predated my way through six decades.  These forms I know.  I can see
these in the psychologies of many easily.  I'm not projecting this
upon whites alone, believe me.  And it's not merely a projection.  I
may be seeing only my own failings "out there," but, despite any lack
of clarity I may have about my sublimations, there actually is an
elitist dynamic in most personalities as formed by most cultures that
is lauded, nurtured, and imbued into the minds of toddlers.

"You're such a smart kid!  What a sweety pie. You're going to go far."

Translation: you got a good brain, now go out there and beat the
dummies at any game -- take the money and run.  Don't look back.

Don't look back and see the world of Smoke Signals, for instance
(http://tinyurl.com/3dz9qw) where innocents drive cars backwards and
young men find their inner warriors, and poets whisper walk in
moccasins.  What a lovely lovely film.  What blazing heart values.

In the worst hovels, this love survives despite all travail.  I am so
humbled by smiling people dressed in rags.

That's a good fight you're doing there, Marek.  Keep us informed.
Meanwhile, Rick, give Marek unlimited posting rights in perpetuity for
his small part in resisting elitism.

Edg

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> One of the cool things about where I live (California Lost Coast) is
how the native
> populations here in the Northwest were last on the list to be
assailed by the Americans.
> Consequently, their cultures are much more intact, even though, of
course, they've been
> tremendously impacted.
>
> Just Friday, I had a client in my office, a young Hupa man, and he
was asking about some
> photographs I have on a bulletin board of yagyas being performed on
the Ganges and in
> some Kanchi temples, and he commented with obvious pride about how
his tribe (and the
> others in this area) have strong ritual customs, too.  Earlier this
year I had a case where my
> client was charged with possession of controlled substances for sale
because of all this
> peyote he had (both growing buttons and jars of liquid).  At the
preliminary hearing we
> were able to assert the affirmative defense of his membership within
the Native American
> Church (the Supreme Court has ruled that the ceremonial and
religious use of peyote by
> indigineous peoples is constitutionally protected).
>
> It was such a treat to listen to my client testify about his
participation in the ceremonies of