While I can agree on one level with your "point of
no return," John, I think I can trace it back a little
further, to the event that started the ball that Ike
warned us about rolling -- the Trinity explosion.

The Manhattan Project was the first real boondoggle
of a military-industrial-intelligentsia-driven project.
It had all the earmarks of any of the boondoggle pro-
jects since -- it cost a fortune, it was secret and
hidden from the public, and it wasn't necessary. On
the last point, the guvmint learned halfway through
the project that the Germans had taken a wrong turn
in their research and had given up on trying to create
an atomic bomb, but they didn't tell the scientists
working on the Manhattan Project. They let them keep
working, telling them that the Germans were only
months away from "beating them to the bomb."

I grew up in the aftermath of the public learning
about the atomic bomb and what one did -- the "duck
and cover" drills in school, the Civil Defense films
on TV showing the effects of the bomb on buildings,
the rash of doomsday books and movies like "On The
Beach." I often wonder whether the "tipping point"
for it all going to hell in a handbasket might have
been the man on the street looking at photos of
Hiroshima and Nagasaki and having the same reaction
that Robert Oppenheimer did.

His reaction to seeing the bomb for the first time
was to quote the Bhagavad Gita: "If the radiance
of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky,
that would be like the splendor of the mighty one.
Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."

I think that the world, but especially America, had
a similar reaction. They saw the films and realized
that the world had changed forever. One moment it
couldn't all just go away in an instant -- wars,
pestilence, disease, natural disasters...those things
all take time. An entire nation, or an entire planet,
couldn't just disappear in an instant.

But now they could.

The climate of FEAR in those early years of the arms
race was *palpable*, man. People worried about the
Ruskies around the water fountains at work and built
fallout shelters in their back yards at home. And
*because* the FEAR was so palpable and so omnipresent,
these fearful people allowed the military-industrial
complex to start running things. Because all these
weapons made them feel safer, while they were really
making life more dangerous.

So if I were trying to nail down the "tipping point"
at which America shifted from a democracy to a military-
industrial oligarchy, I'd say it was long before Ike's
speech. Ike was *reacting* to what was essentially a
Done Deal in his speech.

It started with Trinity.

The creation of the bomb created the FEAR. And the
FEAR is what created a fertile ground for the
military-industrial complex to take advantage of
it and take America to the cleaners for half of
its GNP for 60 years.

Credit where credit is due. Eisenhower really did
give the most important speech of the 20th century
on his way out of office, but it was the bomb that
opened the Pandora's Box that has become our world.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2006/08/19/major_arms_soar_to_twice_pre_911_cost/