> Extrapolating from this, it seems to me that if MMY
> really wanted people to levitate, and was enlightened
> himself, what he'd do is sit them down in a room with
> him and demonstrate levitation. Their bodies would
> learn the siddhi far more quickly and far more
> effectively than they would practicing some made-up
> "technique" in English.

This is what Muktananda did with his students, no ?
Problem is that they are dependent of the shakti of the teacher to
perform the siddhi, in the same way as the students of Rama were. That
is if Rama students had independent experiences ofcourse.
And that is why Muktananda praised Maharishi for giving knowledge for
the whole world independent of him personally because he saw that
Maharishis role was more universal and has effect beyond a small group
of students.
When Maharishi leaves we can go on and on with the practise independent
of his shakti.