  Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 20:44:13 -0800
Subject: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Mexicans are coming! The Mexicans are
coming!

  That is a little too optimistic. I think that right after WWII the US
had a very creative period but it sort of petered out. Now emerging
countries are taking that role. Our limelight is over and it is time to
settle down and chill out (as you say). This whole angst that the
NeoCons had was over the US losing its role in the world. But history
tells us that countries that insist on being in the limelight all the
time become perceived as assholes. Look at the British who once had an
"empire."

It's going to be hard for Americans as we consumed 25% of the world's
resources and yet were only 7% of the population. To the rest of the
world we look like spoiled brats. One of these mornings a lot of people
are going to wake up to find that their jobs are no longer there (as
some people are finding slowly). The boomers are going to find their
too old to switch careers and no one will hire them anyway. I've always
said the best thing that could happen is an economic crash so that
things get evened out. It has to take out the wealthy and the big
corporations too. It would be a little humble pie for the once "great
nation."