  Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 10:52:18 -0000
Subject: [FairfieldLife] Re: The Atheist Delusion

  I have to agree. To me this seems like the projection
of "purpose" onto a universe that is in no need of one
by someone who is in desperate need for one.

Religionists need to see a "purpose" to life, because
1) they tend to have a need that someone or something
guiding it or designed it, and 2) because they are
deeply imprinted by dogma that's been telling them
since they were born that there *is* a purpose to it
all, and a designer behind the scenes. So *naturally*
they look at the world and tend to see purpose and
design behind it. Someone with no "dogmatic alliances"
doesn't necessarily see the world that way.

There is a "precedence" implied in the words that the
author used in the excerpt above that's telling IMO,
about "the world that we have to integrate into our
religious visions." The religious visions have to stay
intact, while integrating the world into *them*.

That's what I think is going on with most attempts to
justify religion with pseudo-science. It's making the
results "fit" the dogma, drawing bulleyes around the
arrows. It's the same thing we see in the TMO ME
"studies." The "results" of a large group of people
bouncing on their butts is a foregone conclusion
because that is part of the religious vision and thus
sacrosanct. The facts must be integrated *into* these
religious visions, even if a lot of squishing square
pegs into round holes is involved, because the visions
represent "truth."

And they suggest that atheists are "deluded?" :-)

For me, it's like what Curtis said earlier about a
type of music he just doesn't "get" or resonate with.
I just don't "get" the desire to find a "purpose"
behind life. It's the *same* life, purpose or not.
I could waste my incarnation pondering what it "means"
and the "whys" of everything, or I could just enjoy
the fact that life is pretty groovy.