Just for the record, the word "myth" is used in the popular culture to mean
"untruth."  In my profession, the word is used to refer to a story that has
significant truth value of the kind that is accessible only through
interpretation as symbol, metaphor, or anagoge--usually some combination of
those three.  Prophesy is usually expressed in the form of myth also.  A mother
of rough-housing kids might say, "There will be tears if you keep this up."
This is prophesy.  If she said, "Billy will bite Johnny on the nose," then that
would be fortune telling.  Prophesy couches the future in some symbolic
terms--"tears" in this case, which is probably an example of anagoge since
Johnny might actually cry if he got bit.  But in any case, the prophesy usually
has a restrictive clause: "if you keep this up."

In Oedipus the prophesy is "You will kill your father and marry your mother."
If those terms are symbols then "father" is a symbol for God or the Absolute
(depending on your predilections) and "mother" is a symbol of nature--marrying
"nature" would be an entanglement with it, or as this crowd would put it, a
severe lack of detachment.  The "if you keep this up" part is often left out of
most re-tellings of the story.  Oedipus seeks out the oracle in order to learn
who his parents are.  The oracle doesn't answer his question and instead
delivers the famous prophesy, "you'll kill dad and marry mom."  The oracle
always speaks in symbolic terms (it was set up that way) of what a present
trend will lead to if continued.  So we have to conclude that in some way the
oracle has information about Oedipus that allows her to "see" that he has
already killed dad and married mom in a symbolic sense.  How does she know?
Well, here comes a very young prince who's
 obviously had all the advantages of money and power.  Yet he is not content
with his position which includes a King and a Queen acting in loco parentis for
him.  He has parents who love him and care for him, in other words--so what if
they're not his parents in a physical sense--they are in a spiritual sense.  He
also has responsibilities as the heir to the throne, responsibilities which he
is most definitely shirking at the moment--he's left home to go on a dangerous
journey to find information rather than truth.

Judy took violent issue with my interpretation of Hamlet a while back--which,
by the way, she has not seen in any full sense.  Hamlet is full of references
to Oedipus, nor am I the only critic to have seen that.