-No. There's no connection between Pure Consciousness and the Vacuum
State of any Field, (say the long sought-after Higgs field). The
cosmic/quantum vacuum is seething with energy; but the vacuum can be
equated with an element, the space element; and is thus relative.

-- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Angela Mailander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Philosophical monism is a philosophical position that has a precise
definition, which is, roughly as we've been using the term, to
indicate that pure consciousness and the absolute vacuum state of the
quantum field are identical and coextensive, which makes the brain a
receiver of the impulses of a non-physical field rather than a
manufacturer of consciousness.  This basic definition and basic
question does not change because we realize that the table we thought
solid is really mostly empty space and energy.  So the initial
question still remains.  The table may be an illusion (not the usual
definition of illusion) as you say.  The individual consciousness may
be an illusion (using your implicit definition) also.  But then, the
fundamental question still remains.  Is pure consciousness identical
and coextensive with the absolute vacuum state of the quantum field,
or not?  Most physicists still say "not," while the number who
say "yes" to that proposition

<mailander111@ ...> wrote:

> > I included you because you're the one who correctly insisted that
what folks were presenting as evidence wasn't evidence.  The
attractiveness of the theory is that it makes life after death much
more possible than does the theory that consciousness is an emergent
property of the brain.  Monism would make life after death a virtual
certainty in terms of consciousness persisting, though that says
nothing about individual consciousness persisting.  On that score,
I'm with Nitzsche: "And immortal Peter! Who could stand him?"

> I think there is a better way to approach monism.  I don't think it
makes any sense to describe consciousness as an emerging property of
brain any more than the opposite, reality is the result of
consciousness.  These both suggest Descartes style dualism.  One puts
more emphasis on the spiritual/immateria l the other on the
physical/material.

> It is my understanding that the physical/material is an illusion.
For all intents and purposes a table appears to be a static object
fixed in space.  However that illusion is provided by a useful
evolutionary circuit in our brains that categorizes objects so we may
manipulate and interact with them.  Otherwise reality would be
impossible for us to comprehend.  Survival would be impossible.

> This requires us to live in fiction.  The truth requires us to go
beyond common sense.  Common sense falsely suggests the sun arcs
across the sky yet the truth is we are on a turning planet.  We can
not trust common sense.  It does well for base survival challenges
but will get us nowhere when exploring the Kosmos as a whole.

> Objects, physical, material things are not static.  They are made
up of tiny centers of energy moving very fast.  These energy fields
make patterns and our interconnected with all other fields of
energy.  The table in front of me appears solid because it is moving
very fast.  My perception of the table is further clouded by the fact
I do not directly interact with the table but instead hold a model of
the table in my consciousness in order to interact with it.  Thus, I
use the history of tables from my past to understand this table.
Thus my mind uses shorthand to fill in my immediate experience of
this table.

> From this point of view there is no primacy in mind/body dualism.
Mind does not rise from body or vice versa.  Instead there is only
energy manifesting itself as a perceived thought or object.  Both
object and thought are transient, alter experience, have limited
value, are limited in space/time and are fundamentally unified.

> This is monism as I understand it.
>
> s.

> <!--
>
> #ygrp-mkp{
0px;padding:0px 14px;}
> #ygrp-mkp hr{
> border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
> #ygrp-mkp #hd{
> color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:bold;line-
height:122%;margin:10px 0px;}
> #ygrp-mkp #ads{
> margin-bottom:10px;}
> #ygrp-mkp .ad{