Rick, 50 posts a week obviously is too permissive and is too
destructive of the open FFL discussion culture.  ie, 'this group has
long maintained a thoughtful and considerate tone'

How 'bout taking it back down towards 30.   4 or 5 posts a day on
average is plenty most of the time.  40 a week and then the hook.

Would help make it towards a privilege and not an entitlement
membership.  50 is obviously too permissive unless in time of a
national or community emergency.

Jai the FFL forum,
-Doug in FF

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com

> Guidelines File 11/18/07

1) This group has long maintained a thoughtful and considerate tone.
Please refrain from personal attacks, insults and excessive
venting. "Speak the truth that is sweet" is a worthy aspiration. If
angry, take some time to gain composure before writing or pushing the
send button.

> Fairfield Life used to average 75-150 posts a day - 300+ on peak
days - and the guidelines included steps on how to deal with the
volume. But this volume was due largely to indiscriminate posting by
a few members. We now have a policy that limits all members to 50
posts a week. Most participants feel this policy has greatly enhanced
the quality of the forum. Members are responsible for counting and
restricting their own posts. Those who exceed their weekly quota will
be banned without warning for a week (2nd offense, 2 weeks, etc.).

> Point 1, below, includes the following: "Please refrain from
personal attacks, insults..." Since a few members habitually ignore
this guideline, we're going to try putting some teeth in it. Those
who can't refrain from "flaming" (personal attacks) or indulge in
gratuitous profanity or sexist, racist, etc. slurs will be warned,
then if they persist, will be banned for a week, 2nd offense 2 weeks,
etc.

> ------------------
>
> You can also read FFL posts at http://www.mail-
archive.com/fairfieldlife@yahoogroups.com/. Some say this is faster
than the Yahoo groups interface, and prefer it because it allows
sorting by thread and has a better search function.

> ------------------
>
> Check out http://www.frappr.com/fairfieldlife and add yourself if
you feel like it.

> ------------------
>
> 1) This group has long maintained a thoughtful and considerate
tone. Please refrain from personal attacks, insults and excessive
venting. "Speak the truth that is sweet" is a worthy aspiration. If
angry, take some time to gain composure before writing or pushing the
send button.

> 2) Edit your posts and make them as concise and non-repetitive as
possible.

> 3) Please "snip" - be highly selective in quoting a message to
which you are responding, deleting all but the most relevant portions
of the prior posts. This makes the daily digest easier to read for
those who subscribe to it. Also, if the topic of a thread changes,
please change the subject header. If you don't, someone with
moderator status will delete your post and post its content in a new
post with an accurate header.

> 4) Try to make clear to the reader if you are writing from the
perspective of personal experience, from information gained from
teachers or books, from your own thoughts, reasoning, logic or
conjecture. Please cite sources where relevant.

> 5) Reference prior posts by their archive number whenever possible.
>
> 6) Anonymous posts are permitted, using an account you create.
>
> 7) FFL is a newsgroup public forum. FFL can be openly read from the
web.  Posting privileges are through membership only. Material
published to FFL is not privileged or protected by law. Material
published to FFL might be quoted and used elsewhere.

> 8) Make cross-posts from other sites only as they are relevant to
this group. If you think another site has great value, write one post
saying so, then let others join or go to that site on their own, at
their discretion.

> 9) Only post links to other sites that are relevant references to
the specific discussion at hand.

> 10) While friendly exchange between friends is natural, try to pass
on personal messages via personal e-mail, refraining where possible
from sending personal messages to the whole list.

> 11) Feel to invite your friends to join FFL, and to use the site's
Promote feature on your websites. The broader the personal network,
the greater the value to all. Friends may now access the posts of FFL
directly off the home page without having to join the list.

> 12) Please don't post commercial announcements in the main message
area. Folders have been set up in the Database, Links and Files
sections for listing books, CDs, DVDs and other items for trade, a
Fairfield ride board, local events, hiring/looking for work
announcements, informative articles, useful links, etc. Also check
http://fairfieldtoday.com/.

> 13) Political discussions are allowed. However, be kind and
respectful of others' viewpoints. Come with a humble heart, an open
mind, and the desire to contribute constructively to everyone's
broader awareness.

> 14) Keep in mind that many FFL members desire to maintain
anonymity. If you happen to know a member's real name, perhaps
because that member has mentioned it in a post or two, or just to you
privately, please refer to that member only by their pseudonym.

> 15) If you want to make suggestions for the refinement of these
guidelines, please post them in the forum.