> Has been progressive in a succession as an American story in
> transcendentalist spirituality.

"Indian religion adds a transcendental quality that has found
popularity
worldwide in the form of meditation, and in the mid-1800s American
writers such as Ralph Waldo Emerson began citing Indian practices
after
abandoning Christianity. Emerson wrote, "I owed a magnificent day to
the Bhagavat-Gita. It was the first of books; it was as if an empire
spake to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent,
the voice of an old intelligence which in another age and climate had
pondered and thus disposed of the same questions that exercise us."
-conservapedia & transcendentalism

>"dhamiltony2k5" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Seems though that about every
> > generation someone comes forward and re-lights the way.  Hence,
in
> > sequence of spiritual progress a lot has happened since Wm. Blake.
> >
> > & this progress is very much part of the American experience.
> >
> > -Doug in FF
>

> Emerson, of the 1840's:  "I owed a magnificent day to the Bhagavat-
> Gita.  It was the first of books; it was as if an empire spake to
us,
> nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent, the voice
> of an old intelligence which in another age and climate had
pondered
> and thus disposed of the same questions that exercise us."
>
> & Not the only but an influencing source, the Bhagavad Gita has
been
> drawn on a lot by American Transcendentalists since the founding
> days.  A copy was in Jefferson's library and the Gita was read
widely
> by the transcendentalists of the 1820's through until late in the
> 19th century.
>

> There was a preceding natural spirituality, then Hindus did come
> along carrying the Gita, more than a century has passed since Swami
> Vivekananda toured introducing Americans to Eastern mysticism in
his
> famous 1893 visit to Chicago for the Parliament of Religions, held
in
> conjunction with the World's Columbian Exposition.
> Traveling to the West in the 20th century, gurus such as Srila
> Prabhupada, (1896-1977) founder of the International Society for
> Krishna Consciousness,
> Anandamayi Ma 1896-1982 visiting America in her time.  Yogananda of
> the middle-third of the 20th century.  Muktananda. Maharishi,
Mother
> Meera, Shree Ma, Ammachi, Karunamayi, Chalanda Sai Ma with others
of
> late 20th Century and early 21st and the prodigies of the New Age
> like Chopra or SSR, or even main-street churches, teaching
centering
> meditation in the 21st.
>

> Has been progressive in a succession as an American story in
> transcendentalist spirituality.   Foundational American Self-
evident
> truth like, transcendentalist equality, life, liberty and the
pursuit
> of spiritual practice,
>

> Continues in a way now also where there is `yoga' in studios on
every
> corner, in every church basement, and taught in retirement
community
> activities rooms; gets taught and people led to spiritual
practice.
> Jai the Guru,
> -Doug in FF

> is
> > > in the American experience with it.
> > >

> > > Yogananda with SRF is a good example of how a group can survive
> the
> > > death of a founder.  Theirs is not unblemished in story;
however,
> > > they are active and currently guided by a founding generation
who
> > > knew the guru.
> >

> > > SRF will likely be in transition again as an aging
> > > founding generation themselves pass things to a next generation
> who
> > > may not have known the guru personally at all.  That time in
> > > particular seems is really a point where groups are apt to
become
> > > extra or ultra doctrinal and potentially splinter over
doctrine.
> > > Generational moves from the shakti experience of the spiritual
> > > practice with the founder and the founding generation towards
the
> > > next generation where the reference becomes the word of `what
was
> > > said' and the doctrine of that as that word is re-read, re-
played
> > >and
> > > re-told by a following generation.  It can become dead
> > >administration
> > > & and dead doctrine at that point as the shakti of a teaching
is
> > > administratively let out.
> > Utopian spiritual practice in America is
> > filled repeatedly and sequentially with variations on this theme.
> > >
> > > -Doug in FF

..x
> >  Or, another example: the Society of  BelieversÂ… the Shakers
lived
> as
> > spiritual practice ashrams with their at least twice-daily
> spiritual
> > practice of a sitting dhyanna  silent meditation (by community
> > ordinance) retiring to their rooms to sit upright in half hour
> silent
> > meditation, not reading, not talking, not sleeping not idling or
> > doing stuff otherwise; but, silent inner experience before then
> going
> > to group worship which included more meditation in group,  Was
the
> > point of their community and industry, to have the time & the
> > material resource to do spiritual practice.
> >
> > Their communities functioned well this way for this purpose
> > specifically for some decades after their founding guru, Mother
Ann
> > and the shaker founding generation beyond their deaths.  Shakers
> > lived well as spiritual practice communities doing this specific
> > practice for some decades after the founding generation.
> >
> > In time they went in to doctrinal spin with generational
> transition.
> > After some time they did away with the silent meditation as
> community
> > practice, and then did the shakti dwindle.  Shakers in time
became
> > doctrinal as this all happened such that in their time they did
not
> > survive the social and industrial change and circumstances then.
> > Their shakti experience of the spiritual practice that held them
> > together dwindled.  Times changed simply towards a form of a
dying
> > hollow doctrine & work, work, work.  So people left seeking
fortune
> > elsewhere, on their own hook.
> >

> > Or, likewise again with the Quaker movement in American history.
> > Early founded on spiritual practice of group meditations, a
silent
> > Patanjali-like practice on the discernment of bhuti and purusha
> > though using the nomenclature of the 17th Century.  They  became
> > doctrinal in generational sequence in other ways in the face of
> rapid
> > social changes of the 19th and 20th century.  They lasted about
300
> > years with shakti before evangelical doctrinism broadsided them
in
> > the midst of the rapid social and economic changes of the 19th
> > century whence their spiritual practice got split off, plowed
> asunder
> > and over-run by doctrinal religionists.  So it went.
> > Yet even today within the Society of Friends (conservative) in
the
> > middle of their form there is a spark of light to be found.
> >

> > Likewise it seems in a sequence with European and American
> > transcendentalism of the 19th century.    Spiritual practice of
> > transcendentalism contending with doctrinal `mistake of the
> > intellect' religionism in sequence.  Seems though that about
every
> > generation someone comes forward and re-lights the way.  Hence,
in
> > sequence of spiritual progress a lot has happened since Wm. Blake.
> >
> > & this progress is very much part of the American experience.

> [...]

Instead,
> > we
> > This

> > Failure