> claudiouk wrote:
> > Instead of buying a new laptop is it possible to just buy a faster
> > desktop PC base unit (without monitor or keyboard) and then access
this
> > unit from anywhere in the house from my old laptop (which then
becomes
> > the wireless keyboard and monitor for the unit)?? I've got XP Home on
> > my laptop. I know there are programs (eg XP Professional has it)
where
> > you can control a computer remotely and see the desktop, but does
that
> > take advantage of the faster computer capacity or is the process
> > limited by the speed of the "controlling" computer anyway, in which
> > case my idea is pointless..?
> >
> > I know this is a non-TM question but I noticed there are real PC
> > experts in FFL...
> >

> I doubt if this would be that useful.  You might want to see if there
> are demo or trial versions of those programs and see if it is useful
for
> you.  I think "PC Anywhere" is the program you might be thinking of.
> Remote Desktop on XP does some of that but I don't have any experience
> with nor need for it.  In fact I only use Windows when I have to and
use
> Linux most of the time especially for anything to do with the Internet.

Remote Desktop or UltraVNC is quite a bit faster over a 54mbit
wireless connection than PC Anywhere... At least in my experience. I
have used all 3 for remote control for myself and clients. LogMeIn
also works well, and seems to have some improvements over Remote
Desktop, but I haven't used it as much.

JohnY