>It's truly the end of an era.
>
> Sal

And the beginning of a new era. Perhaps a portion, a stream of which
is that it is the era of our adulthood. The magical thinking, the vast
dreams. All the superfulous burnt away. The essence left.

Recollecting over the years, 40 years and a few months since I fell
for him and his world at 17. An enduring and endearing memory is his
so often flowing refrain in the long lines of flower givers and well
wishers. "Enjoying? hmm" --  the smile with a faint impish grin -- the
pitch rising with the "hmm" -- turning the question into a
confirmation, an observation, an instruction, a deep silent teaching,
a celebration -- almost as if he would  take the flower with one hand,
and silently raise a silent, deeper counterpart of the flower straight
through up the heart, delicate but boldly -- like starting pushpanjalim.

That is all he asked. For us to enjoy. Asking with one-on-one concern
and caring. And on the other hand, gently, non-obtrusively commanding
us, a sweet imperative, offering to us -- to enjoy. On this day, its
natural to feel some level of gratitude and debt -- to have enjoyed
his presence for awhile. It was quite some trip. Regardless of whatever.

For me, I feel that he will be quite happy and satisfied if I can
simply smile and nod "yes -- (am) enjoying". A life worth living, a
life well lived, if anyone can simply say I "enjoyed". That, in my
view, is all he really ever asked.