Claire Hoffman, Newsweek
I gave him a call at his production office here in Los Angeles and
see what he was thinking about the day after the death of his guru.

Me: How are you David? How are you feeling?

David: I'm doing OK, Claire, it is a big day, was a big day
yesterday.

Me: Do you feel sad?

David: I felt very sad, but also, very happy. Very happy that I knew
Maharishi, that I got his meditation and very happy for the world
that Maharishi brought out unbelievable cosmic knowledge and was
able to bring enlightenment to the people and peace on earth. Now it
is up to the people he left behind to follow through and put the
pieces in place, Claire, and it's going to be a beautiful world.

Me: Are you one of the people?

David: Everyone plays a part, I'll do what I can do. I'm cutting a
documentary that I'm making right now of a fifteen country tour I
did in November to establish invincible universities for peace, with
Maharishi's consciousness based education. For me it's also just
telling people what I know about Maharishi.

Me: What does it mean to you that Maharishi is dead?

David: Well, Maharishi dropped his body. It's like a man is in a car
and the car is old and the man gets out of the car and rolls the car
into the water into a lake. Do we feel sorry for the man? The car is
gone but the man is there. No problems for Maharishi. People are sad
because that voice of wisdom is gone.

Me: How do you tell the world what his significance was? In simple
terms.

David: Maharishi, you could say, Maharishi is a man of peace. A man
of love. A man of wisdom. And if you listen to him, if you take up
those teachings, your life will get better and better and better.

Me: How's your life?

David: Great.Yeah. Sure.

Me: You remember the first time you met Maharishi?

David: I met Maharishi the first time face to face in 1975 in Los
Angeles, California. It was at that center of Spiritual Regeneration
Movement in LA, where I had started meditating. And Maharishi came
to that center and it was his last visit, and I was there that
night, along with three or four hundred people.

Me: And what was your first impression?

David: My friend had gotten a bunch of flowers to present to
Maharishi and I handed him my flower and for the briefest moment our
eyes met and when Maharishi looks into your eyes, and he looks into
yours….well…it's an incredible, incredible moment.

Me: Well, I have to ask, and I know everyone must, but isn't there a
black cloud of negativity in your films?

David: Everyone does ask. I went to to 26 countries, and in each one
they say `how come if you're so happy you make these films?' The
answer is films, books, music, all these things reflect the world in
which we live. And up to now the world has been a dark and troubling
place. Stories have great contrast, through the centuries, they have
positive and negative swimming together. But I always end up saying
the artist doesn't have to suffer to show suffering. Have it on the
screen but have the people come out of the theater into a world of
peace, of a beautiful world. They don't have to suffer in their lives

Me: Are you suffering?

David: NO!

(lots of giggling….)

Me: Did you do a puja [a Hindu ceremony] today?

David: No, no. These things are internal things. Like I said there's
nothing to worry about -- everything is good. Everyone is sorry that
Maharishi's voice is no longer in the world, but there's more ways
than that to communicate. Everything is very good. I just feel that
there's a connection, and everything is very good.

Me: Well thank you for talking to me.

David: Good deal Claire. Write something beautiful for Maharishi.

Me: Um, OK. Ill try.