---
--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], "tanhlnx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> UK biologist Dawkins says "Believing in God is like believing in a
> teapot orbiting the moon"...
>
> http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchive/002086.html

Some scientists say that removing religion or God from their life
would leave it meaningless, that it's God that gives meaning to life.

"Unweaving the Rainbow" specifically attacks the idea that a
materialist, mechanist, naturalistic worldview makes life seem
meaningless. Quite the contrary, the scientific worldview is a poetic
worldview, it is almost a transcendental worldview. We are amazingly
privileged to be born at all and to be granted a few decades --
before we die forever -- in which we can understand, appreciate and
enjoy the universe. And those of us fortunate enough to be living
today are even more privileged than those of earlier times. We have
the benefit of those earlier centuries of scientific exploration.
Through no talent of our own, we have the privilege of knowing far
more than past centuries. Aristotle would be blown away by what any
schoolchild could tell him today. That's the kind of privileged
century in which we live. That's what gives my life meaning. And the
fact that my life is finite, and that it's the only life I've got,
makes me all the more eager to get up each morning and set about the
business of understanding more about the world into which I am so
privileged to have been born.
--- End forwarded message ---