--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "hugheshugo"

Richard Hughes wrote:
> You heard right, but it's all an illusion.

It's an illusion, but things are not unreal. Things
are presented to us, but because of ignorance they are
mistaken for the real thing; things *appear* to be real.
That's different than things being an 'illusion' or
unreal. In Adwaita, things are not unreal, yet not real;
they are an appearance only.

Excerpt from mANDUkya kArikA IV by gauDapAda:

"Duality is only an appearance; non-duality is the real
truth. The object exists as an object for the knowing
subject; but it does not exist outside of conciousness
because the distinction of subject and object is within
conciousness" (IV 25-27) Sharma).

Translation:

'A Critical Survey of Indian Philosophy'
by Chandrahar Sharma, M.A., D. Phil., D. Litt., LL.B.,
Shastri, Dept. of Phil., Benares Hindu U.
Rider, 1960