An excellent essay, Bob, and it kind of spooks me a little, to tell
you the truth.  Both campaigns argue, both under the rules and under
the rules as they think should be altered, for whatever works to
their advantage.  The Salon.com essay helped me to see where Judy is
coming from in her accusations that Obama is claiming to be above
the fray while engaging in it at the same level as Clinton, if only
more skillfully.

And it does appear, if all the assertions in that essay are correct,
that the rules in this election year just happen to favor Obama as
the votes and the headlines and the campaign narratives all seem to
have broken his way.  But they also happen to favor him because he
has been astute enough to realize how to make the play under those
rules and circumstances and gain the advantage over his opponent.
Clinton early on agreed to the essential nullity of the Florida and
Michigan primary based on the DNC rules.  Now that *that* particular
decision seems not to have been particularly insightful in light of
the way the rest of the campaign has played out, she wants the rules
to be changed so as to regain the advantage.  That's understandable
but doesn't quite feel right to me.

Of course, the argument advanced is that Obama maintaining the
advantage and winning the Democratic nomination means nothing if he
then goes on to lose the general election.

Everyone is either calling for Clinton to bow out or criticising
those who are calling for Clinton to bow out.  I agree with Clinton
(and Obama says this, too) that she should stay in the race until
all the primary (and caucus) votes are in.  I think so because the
way the delegates are being counted now, each and every one is
valuable.  It hasn't happened that way for a long time and it's cool
that so many people's votes count in a way that hasn't happened in
earlier nomination campaigns.

But what is the advice that Obama should take from this critique?
What advice would you give?  Should *he* step aside and concede the
race to Clinton?  Should he be *her* vice-president?  Should he
acknowledge that the rules and his ability to play them puts him at
too great an advantage?  That seems pretty absurd, doesn't it?

It's obvious that I love the idea of an Obama presidency; and I
recognize that it's not unlikely that I'll be disappointed by any
number of snafus that his presidency, should that happen, will
either endure or create.  That's the nature of politics.  I'm hoping
that it will be longer before he is co-opted by the powers that be.
And I'm mightily encouraged by his intelligence and his enthusiasm
and his willingness to talk about the things that matter in a *way*
that matters and that doesn't just sound like pandering.

But I'm a incorrible idealist and like putting my ideals to the test
in as many facets of my life as I can.  It's desirable (or so I tell
myself) to do the right thing and let the consequences come as they
may; to see and assume humanity in the worst and beauty in the
despicable; and funnily enough, to find it reflected right back at
me time and time again.

I may be 100% wrong about Obama.  He may be a total conniving
bastard, steeped and schooled in dirty Chicago-style political
maneuvering, and just waiting for the exact right moment to rip
Hilary's throat out and do it so deftly that not a drop of blood
stains his hand.  Or he may just be a smooth-talking politician,
with ambition and hubris to spare who just happened to get lucky
when all the political stars aligned for his ascendancy.

Or he may just be what so many of us are looking for right now and
he's caught the wave of hope and optimism that so many of us are
generating.  His candidacy does seem to me, at time, to be a thing
of beauty and inspiration.  Maybe it's like the Beatles song, Sexy
Sadie, where they sing "How could you know that the world was
waiting just for you?"  Sometimes it's just the right time and
someone rises up to embody something bigger than themselves.

I don't know, but I sure hope so.

Good essay and lots to think about.  Thanks.

Marek

**

--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, bob_brigante <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Marek Reavis"
> <reavismarek@> wrote:
>   I hope she
> > stays in the Senate.
> >
> > Marek
> >
> ***** **
>
> "If, while heeding the party's rules, the Democratic
superdelegates

http://www.salon.com/opinion/feature/2008/04/07/hillary/