> on 6/10/05 10:07 PM, Rick Archer at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > on 6/10/05 1:29 PM, Robert Gimbel at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >> --There was an albumn that Rick Stanley put out that had some
real
> >> swingin' tunes on it! back around '76
> >
> > Even the Strawberry Alarm Clock had a TM song that came out in
the spring of
> > '68. I heard it somewhere in Kansas while hitching from NJ to Los
Angeles.
> > (Their big hit was "Incense and Peppermints")
>

> Found it:
> http://www.lyricskeeper.com/strawberry_alarm_clock-lyrics/214097-
sit_with_th
> e_guru-lyrics.htm  (http://tinyurl.com/793rm). I just heard the
song once in
> March of '68 while sitting in a car at night somewhere in the
Midwest en
> route to California. Funny how many memories of that trip are vivid
in my
> memory. Perhaps because I wasn't smoking grass daily (while
traveling).

************

As long as we're talking music:

"What works for a regiment can be made to work on a national level,
to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the skill and
persuasiveness of the manipulation. Even the horrors of modern
warfare have proved easier to bear when their struggles are
identified with and ennobled by great music. In 1942, on a nameless
killing ground on the Russian Front, a diary was found in the pocket
of a dead German soldier who had just returned from leave in Berlin.
One of the last entries concerned a concert he had attended. "Last
night I heard a performance of Bruckner's Ninth," the young man had
written, "and now I know what we are fighting for!"
(more at link) http://www.thehistorynet.com/mh/blmusixofwar/