Perfect Madness: From Awakening to
Enlightenment by Donna Lee Gorrell (daughter of THE famous jazz
musician of the same middle name)

I was naive when my spiritual journey began, I wanted growth without
change, wisdom without experience, security without sacrifice, and
life without death. I wanted to swim in the waters of eternity without
getting wet. Instead, I found myself immersed in unfathomable darkness
with no trace of where I'd been and no glimmer of where to go, lost in
the void of my own mind and convinced I was going crazy. I had no way
of knowing I was on the path to enlightenment.

We find ourselves slipping deeper into uncharted layers of
consciousness. Our comfort zone of sameness feels violated. One moment
our mind is flooded with understanding; the next on the brink of
insanity. Self-doubt permeates our being, and we experience symptoms
paralleling mental illness, even borderline psychosis. We wonder if
the only difference between insanity and sanity lies in the ability to
BE crazy without ACTING crazy.

>From Jean Klein Transmission of the Flame page 65
"...We have very often repeated that the seeker is the sought. An
object is a fraction; it appears in your wholeness, in your globality.
When you really come to the understanding that the seeker is the
sought, there is a natural giving-up of all energy to find something.
It is an instantaneous apperception. I don't say perception, because
in perception there is a perceiver and something perceived. An
apperception is an instantaneous perceiving of what is perceiving. So
it can never be in relation of subject-object, just as an eye can
never see its own seeing. .......you will find a glimpse of
non-subject-object relationship. This glimpse is seen with your whole
intelligence, which is there in the absence of the person, the
thinker, the doer. Understanding, being the understanding, is
enlightenment