WASHINGTON -- One day after clinching his party's presidential nomination,
Democrat Barack Obama reached out to two groups that have concerns about his
candidacy: Jewish Americans and supporters of Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Speaking to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, Obama won applause
with a promise to "do everything in my power to prevent Iran from obtaining a
nuclear weapon." He also assailed his Republican opponent, John McCain, for
"willful mischaracterization" of his call for diplomatic outreach to the
Iranian regime and said he "has no interest in sitting down with our
adversaries just for the sake of talking."

 But as president, Obama said, "I would be willing to lead tough and
principled diplomacy with the appropriate Iranian leader at a time and place
and my choosing -- if and only if it can advance the interests of the United
States."

Calling the threat posed by Iran "grave," Obama said that "as president I will
never compromise when it comes to Israel's security." He pledged $30 billion in
assistance to Israel over the next decade to "ensure that Israel can defend
itself from any threat -- from Gaza to Tehran." To a standing ovation, he said,
"I will do everything in my power to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear
weapon -- everything."

The presumed Democratic nominee took a shot at President Bush for delaying
peace negotiations between Israel and the Palestinians. "I won't wait until the
waning days of my presidency," he said. "I will take an active role and make a
personal commitment to do all I can to advance the cause of peace from the
start of my administration."

.votechart {
font-family:arial,helvetica,sans-serif;
list-style-type: none;
float: left;
clear: left;
}
.votechart * {
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
.votechart a {
color: #007AAA;
text-decoration: none;
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: bold;
}
.votechart a:hover {
color: #333;
}
.chartlist {
float: left;
border-top: 1px solid #EEE;
width: 240px;
}
.chartlist li {
position: relative;
display: block;
border-bottom: 1px solid #EEE;
_zoom: 1;
padding-bottom: 0px;
}
.chartlist li a {
display: block;
padding: 5px 80px 5px 8px;
position: relative;
z-index: 2;
margin-botton: -2px;
}
.chartlist .count {
display: block;
position: absolute;
top: 0;
right: 0;
margin: 0 8px;
text-align: right;
color: #999;
font-weight: bold;
font-size: 16px;
line-height: 26px;
}
.chartlist .index {
display: block;
position: absolute;
top: 0;
left: 0;
height: 100%;
text-indent: -9999px;
overflow: hidden;
line-height: 26px;
}
.chartlist #clinton {background: #d9e1e5;}
.chartlist #obama {background: #e7ecef;}
.chartlist li:hover {
background: #F3F3F3;
}
.votechart-topper {
margin:2px 2px 2px;
}
.votechart-hede {
color:#333333;
display:inline;
font-size:12px;
font-weight:bold;
padding-left: 2.5px;
padding-right: 5px;
text-transform:uppercase;
}
.votechart-metadata {
clear:both;
font-size: 9px;
text-align:right;
color: #999999;
display:inline;
}
.votechart-footer {
clear:both;
font-size:9px;
text-align:right;
padding-left:3px;
padding-right:3px;
color: #999999;
display:block;
}

South Dakota primary

document.write("Clinton" + clintonSD + "(" + clintonSD + ")Obama" + obamaSD
+"(" + obamaSD +")" + timestampSD + " | " + precinctsSD + " of precincts
Source: AP");

Clinton55.3%(55.3%)
Obama44.7%(44.7%)
1:28 AM | 100.0% of precincts Source: AP

Montana primary

document.write("Clinton" + clintonMT + "(" + clintonMT + ")Obama" + obamaMT
+"(" + obamaMT +")" + timestampMT + " | " + precinctsMT + " of precincts
Source: AP");

Clinton41.2%(41.2%)
Obama56.4%(56.4%)
1:28 AM | 97.9% of precincts Source: AP
Saying that Palestinians "need a state that is contiguous and cohesive," Obama
said any agreement "must preserve Israel's identity as a Jewish state, with
secure, recognized and defensible borders" and with Jerusalem the capital of an
undivided country.

The Illinois senator sought to dispel concerns in the Jewish community,
circulating on the Internet, that he is a Muslim and is allied with critics of
Israel. Obama is a Christian. "If anyone has been confused by these e-mails,"
he said, "I want you to know that today I'll be speaking from my heart, and as
a true friend of Israel."

And he reminded the audience that African Americans and Jewish Americans had
stood together during the civil rights era. "They took buses down South
together," Obama said. "They marched together. They bled together. And Jewish
Americans like Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner were willing to die
alongside a black man -- James Chaney -- on behalf of freedom of equality."
Calling the legacy of the three slain civil rights workers "our inheritance,"
Obama said, "We must not allow the relationship between Jews and African
Americans to suffer."

As he began his speech, Obama acknowledged Clinton for "the outstanding race
that she has run." Calling the New York senator "a true friend of Israel" and
"a great senator . . . who made history alongside me for the last 16 months,"
Obama said that he was "very proud to have competed against her."

Clinton, who next spoke to the AIPAC audience, said that Obama "understands
what is at stake here," and that it was "an honor to contest these primaries"
with him.

"Let me be very clear," said Clinton, who has yet to concede the nomination. "I
know that Sen. Obama will be a good friend to Israel" and will "say to the
world that America's position is unchanging . . . that the United States stands
with Israel now and forever."

Noting that the next president "will inherit grave problems," Clinton said that
despite his tough talk to AIPAC in a speech on Monday, McCain "will continue
the same policies" in the Middle East.

"America needs a new beginning in our foreign policy," she said, arguing that
failed policies in Iraq and elsewhere have cost the United States influence and
"strategic leverage."

"We cannot stand strongly with Israel," she said, "if we are not strong
everywhere else."

Republicans today congratulated Obama on a historic race for the presidency as
the first African American candidate nominated by a major party. McCain said on
ABC's "Good Morning America" that Obama had run "a very effective campaign" and
has "motivated lots of Americans to be involved in the political process." And
in her morning briefing, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said Obama's
"historic achievement reflects the fact that our country has come along way
too."

Democrats, meanwhile, attempted to coalesce around Obama. With Clinton not yet
conceding the nomination, Democratic leaders gave superdelegates until Friday
to make a decision. In a statement by Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of
Nevada; House Speaker Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco; West Virginia Gov. Joe
Manchin, chairman of the Democratic Governors' Assn.; and Democratic National
Committee Chairman Howard Dean, the leaders said, "The voters have spoken. . .
. We are urging all remaining uncommitted superdelegates to make their
decisions known by Friday of this week so that our party can stand united and
begin our march toward reversing the eight years of failed Bush/McCain policies
that have weakened our country."

But Howard Wolfson, communications director for the Clinton campaign, told
NBC's "Today" show that the New York senator plans to take a couple of days "to
think this through and assess her next steps. And she'll have something to
announce. And when she does, everyone will know it."

Asked about the prospect of Clinton as vice presidential nominee, Obama
communications director Robert Gibbs said the process of finding a running mate
has just begun. Praising Clinton for "a terrific campaign" that brought
"millions of new voters into the process," Gibbs said on "Today" that the vice
presidential choice is "an important process that's going to take some time."