Hmmm,  Galileo a cultist? I don't think so. Heretic doesn't equal
cultist.   Having strange or nonmainstream beliefs has nothing to do
with being a cult. Every religion looks pretty strange from the outside.
Few raise to the level of destructive cult.  Personally, I believe
meditation is one of Nature's miracles
<http://KnappFamilyCounseling.com/mostly.html> . I'm not surprised there
are scientific studies that show it is good -- for most people.
Confession can be shown to be good for most people. OTOH, the public
shaming and abuse that Scientology uses its confessional ritual for
causes trauma.  Similarly a little meditation is probably good. The kind
of overindulgence that the Maharishi encouraged appears to damage
<http://knappfamilycounseling.com/tmdangers.html>  some people.  And the
constant drumbeat to pay more and more for less and less -- up to $1
million for the videotaped Raja course -- has driven numerous TMers into
financial ruin.  Cultism has to do with repression, control, and abuse
of a group's members -- usually by the cult leader/founder.  Is TM a
cult? That's for every individual to decide for him or herself.   But I
fail to see how the Org could not benefit from reform along the lines I
suggest.  J.   --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, off_world_beings
wrote: > > They called Galilleo a heritic (ie. cultist) >  > The only
way to not be labelled a cult is to continuously and  > vigorously
pursue scientific research under strict methodologies and  > continue to
have them published in respected peer-reviewed scientific  > journals.
>  > Any organization (including any faith based school initiative, or
> some drug-induced stupor forced onto kids by states or governement,  >
including also the promotion of junk food to kids, and including the  >
promotion of unproven meditation techniques, etc. etc.) that has not  >
hundreds of studies on the positive outcomes published in this way,  >
are at best a cult, at worst criminally fraudulant. >  > Anything other
than something based on hundreds of proven studies  > published in
peer-reviewed scientific journals, is by definition,  > mythological in
its veracity, religiously ignorant in its  > application, and considered
fraudulant in a civilized society >  > OffWorld >