I received Checking notes various times and never saw anything about
blackouts...a long time ago but as I remember it.

--- On Sat, 6/21/08, authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
From: authfriend <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [FairfieldLife] More from Knapp
To: FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com
Date: Saturday, June 21, 2008, 2:06 PM

First, if you'd like to get a better idea of why many
of us do not find Trancenet a reliable source of
information <understatement> on TM/MMY/the TMO, have
a look at this page:

http://www.trancenet.net/secrets/checking/overview.shtml

>From my perspective as a long-time TMer and trained
(but not certified) checker, this page is a very
carefully calculated mixture of truths, fractional
truths, deliberately misleading statements, and
outright falsehoods.

One example:

"[1] In the Introductory and Preparatory lectures, the
Maharishi has insisted that there are no negative side
effects from TM. [2] Yet, a significant portion of both
Three Days and Individual Checking Notes are about how
to deal with headaches, "blackouts," involuntary movements,
and other negative side effects. [3] How does he explain
this? By insisting that any such effects come from
incorrect practice."

[1] True.

[2] Deliberately misleading. It's true that a
"significant portion" of the checking notes are about
how to deal with the various occurrences Knapp lists,
but the length of that portion is *vastly" out of
proportion to how often it's used in actual checking
sessions. It's a just-in-case section that rarely
needs to be referred to.

[3} False in the case of involuntary movements. Only
partially true in the case of headaches (they *may*
be caused by exerting subtle effort, but may have
other causes).

Don't know about "blackouts" because my checking
notes don't mention them (I took checker training in
the early '80s, so they may have been updated to
remove any such mention). I recall meditators asking
about blackouts at advanced lectures and on residence
courses, but there was never any suggestion from the
teacher that they were due to "incorrect practice."

Second, I deleted the last paragraph of one of Knapp's
Trancenet Alert "press releases" because I wanted to
highlight it separately. He writes, in a parenthetical
after repeating his warning that another Jonestown may
be imminent:

"(As fate would have it, the Guyana massacre happened
during my Teacher Training Phase III. I remember we
all held our breath when the TV anchorman announced
a massacre among a religious community in Central
America. Was he talking about the Maharishi's World
Peace Project? Many of us had TM governor friends in
Central America at that very moment, rounding to save
the world from nuclear disaster.)"

The "World Peace Project" Knapp refers to involved
groups of TM-Sidhis practitioners going to various
trouble spots (Nicaragua for one) to do their
program together.

The TMers weren't there to "save the world from
nuclear disaster," but rather with the goal of
calming down ongoing local hostilities.

Nor, of course, were Knapp and his TTC buddies
"holding their breaths" because they feared a
Jonestown-like tragedy among the TMers in Nicaragua.
Rather, they were concerned that the TMers might
have become innocent casualties of the fighting--a
very real possibility which, thankfully, did not
occur.

This little "anecdote" exemplifies Knapp's penchant
for intentionally misleading his readers with
fractional truths, a tendency that pervades the
Trancenet material on TM.