0 Seeker! Every moment remain engrossed in the practice of Surat-
Shabd-Yoga [union of the attention-faculty of the soul with Divine
Light and Sound within during meditation] for there is no other
comrade like the Word. Close your outer ears and then listen to the
reverberations of the Word inside. The Word will drive "I-ness"
(arrogance, self-centeredness, ego) out of you. Gain access to the
Word and then you'll attain to steadiness and control of mind. After
that you'll perceive the glowing and brilliant light of the flame and
remain rapturous in the resonance of the Word every moment. You will
then feel sick, disgusted and satiated with the objects of pleasures
and forsake all of them for you would have soared high and heard the
sonorous and resonant sound of the Word that is rich, deep and
impressively loud.

The guru directs that you must remain contented and engrossed in that
Sound; and then you will hear the diapason and crescendo of the sound
(glorious and harmonious burst of musical sound and gradual increase
in its volume). Then the surat [soul] rises from there rapidly, as if
walking with heavy or noisy footsteps, impressively, and arrives at
Sunn (Spirit-Sphere) hearing the euphonious tinkling sound.

Thereafter, you will hear the sound produced by overtones rather than
volume and pitch -- that of timbrel and tambourine; what shall I say
about the majesty of the Sound which is infinite and unlimited.
Whatever I may talk about it, it will be found wanting. This is a
matter which is enigmatic and mysterious; how can I unravel its
mystery. The surat [soul] now gains access to the depths and
dimensions of the Spaceless and Timeless (Adhar).

It now sits with her beloved Lord enjoying his perennial blissful
company. All the darkness and dirt of the inner recess of the heart
is now eradicated; showers of Sound are falling like murmuring rain.
Inside you, as the light spreads, drops of ambrosia fall as the drops
of dew. The mind has become fed up (annoyed and bored) with all other
modes and methods (except Surat-Shabd-Yoga); the surat is now
constantly applying to its wounds the healing and soothing balm of
the Word (Sound). I now surrender my body and mind and all to the
guru; Radhasoami [Lord of the Soul] speaks in this wise, time and
again, with every breath.

-- Swami Ji Maharaj
Sar Bachan Radhasoami Poetry, Volume One
"The Quintessential Discourse Radhasoami"
Translated by M.G. Gupta
M.G. Publishers, Agra