To All:

Is it possible to have an invisible man?  Maybe, not by mantras but
hard science.  Please, read this article from Reuters.

Invisibility cloak one step closer, scientists say

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Scientists have created two new types of
materials that can bend light the wrong way, creating the first step
toward an invisibility cloaking device.

One approach uses a type of fishnet of metal layers to reverse the
direction of light, while another uses tiny silver wires, both at the
nanoscale level.

Both are so-called metamaterials -- artificially engineered
structures that have properties not seen in nature, such as negative
refractive index.

The two teams were working separately under the direction of Xiang
Zhang of the Nanoscale Science and Engineering Center at the
University of California, Berkeley with U.S. government funding. One
team reported its findings in the journal Science and the other in
the journal Nature.

Each new material works to reverse light in limited wavelengths, so
no one will be using them to hide buildings from satellites, said
Jason Valentine, who worked on one of the projects.

"We are not actually cloaking anything," Valentine said in a
telephone interview. "I don't think we have to worry about invisible
people walking around any time soon. To be honest, we are just at the
beginning of doing anything like that."

Valentine's team made a material that affects light near the visible
spectrum, in a region used in fiber optics.

"In naturally occurring material, the index of refraction, a measure
of how light bends in a medium, is positive," he said