The shrill bitch who believes that aliens use
fields of wheat as their coloring books and who
can't stop obsessing on me:

> > He also has an overwhelming fear of authority of any
> > kind, because he's a control freak. To find wisdom
> > in what an authority says--even via thoughtful
> > personal interpretation--is anathema to him, because
> > it would mean the authority knows something he does
> > not, and that's unacceptable to Barry; it would mean
> > he'd have to give up the notion that he is completely
> > in control.

John from Brazil:

> He'll never admit it. His ego is just too invested in his act.

This isn't at all true, John (do.rflex John). I
was being very, very polite with the other John,
in a "this isn't worth pursuing" kind of way.

I find wisdom in *many* books of fiction, some
of them Indian, some of them Western. But I never
consider them anything other than fiction. And I
won't pretend that they are "authorities" just
because I found wisdom in these works of fiction.

Hell, I used Stephen King as an example of another
fiction writer, and I've found more wisdom in his
books than I ever found in the Bhagavad-Gita. But
that does NOT make Stephen King an "authority" of
any kind. ALL that it means is that I found wisdom
in something he wrote.

In the preceding threads, the other John kept imply-
ing that what the "vedic literature" said about the
senses or about drugs that were still a couple of
thousand years from being invented when the "authority"
he's invoking wrote his stuff was *correct*. He gave
no reason why he felt that it was correct *except*
that it was part of the "vedic literature." It would
seem that his only reason for believing that it is
correct is that it comes from a set of books that HE
has come to consider "wisdom," books that were written
back in some fairytale age that cannot be found in
recorded history.

I don't buy it. I don't think that the writers of the
Vedas knew all that much more than a lot of people do
today. I don't hold any of the "today" people as
"authorities," either, and I'm certainly not going to
hold any of these writers of old Indian fairytales
as "authorities."

You might, and that is your privilege. But I don't
have to. When I see a fairytale, I have a right to call
it a fairytale, even if you or anyone else considers it
holy scripture. That is what I did.

If the other person *continues* to invoke the fairytale
as if what the fairytale says somehow "trumps" the things
I believe, then I laugh at them and politely beg out of the
conversation. That is also what I did with the other John.

What's the *alternative*? What do you want me to "admit" to?

That there are people who know things I don't? Well, duh.
OF COURSE there are. But that doesn't make them "authorities,"
merely people who know things that I don't. And that doesn't
mean that I have to believe any of the things they believe,
either. They are *welcome* to know the things they know and
believe the things that they believe, and other people are
*welcome* to consider them "authorities" if they want. But
I don't have to.

I think what you're really pissed off about is that I class
the writers of so-called Indian "scriptures" in the same
category as Stephen King. OK, that IS a little unfair. King
is a *much* better writer than any of the authors of "vedic
literature," and IMO often conveys a great deal more useful
information about how to live a fulfilling life than they do
as well. But that doesn't make him any kind of "authority"
figure for me, any more than the fact that a few of the
things in the "vedic literature" that make sense to me make
the people who wrote them any kind of "authority" for me.

I just don't DO "authority." I take what is said at its face
value, irrespective of who said it or when. If what is said
resonates with me, cool. If it doesn't, cool. In neither
case is the author any kind of "authority," merely somebody
who wrote something. Get a grip. These people were just
people.