> --- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, Rick Archer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > on 6/18/05 12:47 AM, sparaig at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> Plus 8 scholarly books [by chandol] on linguistics and music. What
has Dana Sawyer published?

Well, amongst other things, a lot of scolarly articles on monastic
traditions in India. Here is the footnote from the S. Lineage article
-- from over ten years ago. this was not a complete list in th mid 90s
when the lineage article was written, and I am sure Dana has published
a lot since then. But just based on these publications, compared to
Chandol, it would appear that Dana has done more direct research into
realms relevant to the Shank Tradition.

> My thanks go to Dana Sawyer of Maine College of Art, who kindly
> shared with me the results of his field studies and interviews. See
> also his article, "Monastic Structure of Banarsi Dandi Sadhus" in
> Living Banaras: Hindu Religion in Cultural Context, ed. Hertel,
> Bradley R. and Cynthia Humes, Albany: State University of New York
> Press, 1993, and his forthcoming publication(s) on the Dandi Sadhus.

(vaj: I have this work, it is excellent if you are interested in this
kind of thing.)

I am sure Chandol is a credible, respected prof in his field,. However
his reserch intothe shank and monastic traditions appears to be one
short convo 35 years ago. Even if chandols puplication list were 3x as
large, it would not make his reporting of tha one convo even MORE
credible. I beleive he is reporting accurately what he heard. It does
not take a distinguished prof to report a few sentence convo. Any
credible person could  have done so. This issues are not chandols
credibility but:

i) the bulk of evidence: his reporting of a one sentence response vs
Danas 100's if not 1000's of interviews

ii) To what extent Shantananda represents the S. Tradition compared to
all sitting Shanks and 1000's of months in the tradtion

iii) to what extent  Shantananda's comments might have been influenced
by his seat being substantially supported by MMY.