Title: Re: [FairfieldLife] Re: Lenz -- Sex and Business Practices / Ethics
on 6/19/05 5:04 PM, Sal Sunshine at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On Jun 19, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Rick Archer wrote:

But are all adults created equal? Bill and Monica?

Such an attitude really presupposes that women who are younger are automatically less capable of making rational decisions.  In effect, it's very condescending.  As I recall, it was Monica who initiated the whole thing.

Shouldn’t the president of the US be more capable of making rational decisions than a starry-eyed young intern? Isn’t that why we elected him?

That doesn't excuse Bill's inappropriate actions, if indeed they were.  But a better question might be to ask *why* young women often seek out relationships with older men or men in power.  The answers, whatever they are, are complex, and it does little good to simply assign blame to one or the other. Our society clearly undervalues young women big-time, and sets them up for these situations.

Interesting reflections on these questions in an article entitled “Women Who Sleep with their Gurus” from What is Enlightenment magazine, in the Files section: http://tinyurl.com/bt7sp and also archived at http://www.wie.org/j26/women-who-sleep.asp?ifr=srch

Gurus in their mid-50’s and women in their early 20’s? Is it OK for men in positions of power and authority to use that power and authority to have relationships that would not occur if they were ordinary guys?

You don't know that--and who's really ordinary anyway? That's one of the big problems with putting someone on a pedestal--much farther to fall.

Right. But if Bill wasn’t president, or MMY head of an organization that attracted many young people, or Mick Jagger lead singer of the Rolling Stones, it’s unlikely any of them would have had all the women they did. Their fame and power made them chick magnets. It may be OK for rock stars to take advantage of that – it doesn’t compromise their ability to do their job. But in the other instances it does. It was their choice, but I don’t see why their “status” should place them above, at the very least, having people discuss the appropriateness of their actions.