I'm sitting about a kilometer from the ex-pat
cafe I was sitting at before. The conversation
there about the US Presidential debate died
after a mere 15 minutes.

It's understandable. It's a sunny but cool day
in Sitges. There is a strong wind coming in
from North Africa, and there are bare breasts
on the beach. Life is good. Why would one want
to sit in a cafe and debate a debate taking
place in a country where life *isn't* good?

It's like what Curtis said recently when the
latest "Hi, I'm Enlightened" guy came through
the swinging doors. To paraphrase, Curtis sug-
gested that listening to someone talk about
their own enlightenment was like listening to
someone talk about their latest orgasm. Who
really cares?

Similarly, on a fine September day such as
this, why should the residents of a country
where life is good a *lot* waste time talking
about American politics? It would be like
sitting on the rim of the Grand Canyon gazing
out at the wonder and talking about the sani-
tation workers' strike back in New York and
how garbage is piling up in the streets. It
just doesn't make any sense to sit in a place
where things make sense and dwell overlong
on a place where they don't.

"What you focus on you become."

As true in Sitges, Spain as it is in the high
Himalayas or in Fairfield, Iowa. This posting
week will start as so many have done lately,
with people trying to suck our attention to
the garbage strike and debate it endlessly.
And we will...sadly, me among them.

But hopefully I will wake up from time to time
and notice the beauty in front of me, and feel
the desert wind on my face, and remember that
there are better things to talk about.