--- In FairfieldLife@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Gillam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Fairfield Lifers interested in scientific
> research may enjoy a short article in the
> New York Times on what constitutes a good
> medical study.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/30/health/30stud.html?8dpc
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/4nmmg2
>
> Searching for Clarity: A Primer on Medical Studies
>
> By GINA KOLATA
> Published: September 29, 2008
>
> Everyone, it seemed, from the general public to many scientists, was
> enthralled by the idea that beta carotene would protect against
> cancer. In the early 1990s, the evidence seemed compelling that this
> chemical, an antioxidant found in fruit and vegetables and converted
> by the body to vitamin A, was a key to good health.
>
> There were laboratory studies showing how beta carotene would work.
> There were animal studies confirming that it was protective against
> cancer. There were observational studies showing that the more fruit
> and vegetables people ate, the lower their cancer risk. So convinced
> were some scientists that they themselves were taking beta carotene
> supplements.
>
> Then came three large, rigorous clinical trials that randomly assigned
> people to take beta carotene pills or a placebo. And the beta carotene
> hypothesis crumbled. The trials concluded that not only did beta
> carotene fail to protect against cancer and heart disease, but it
> might increase the risk of developing cancer.
>
> It was "the biggest disappointment of my career," said one of the
> study researchers, Dr. Charles Hennekens, then at Brigham and Women's
> Hospital.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/4nmmg2

Moral of the story: pre-vitamins are not drugs. If they had taken the
supplements
along with a bit of naturally occurring beta-carotene as found in fruits or
carrots
or whatever, I wonder what would have happened? Its entirely possible that the
body can't process the substance properly as a pure chemical and needs other
chemicals for it to be beneficial.

Lawson